Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long should dryer coils last?

Hello Everyone,

I am having trouble with my 10+ year old gas dryer. Back in mid September last year, the repairman told me that my 2 dryer coils had gone bad and he replaced them, and then the dryer worked fine.

Then in late November, the dryer would spontaneously go on the fritz by either the ignitor not glowing, yet there would be the regular clicks to ignite the flame on and off, yet there was no flame. Then other times, the ignitor would glow, then there would be the regular clicks to ignite the flame on and off, yet there was no flame. Then other times, the ignitor would glow, there would be the regular clicks to ignite the flame on and off (the flame only would come on once, to heat up during the first cycle, yet the flame never came on again after it went off), even after the dyer had been running for a full hour or so. Of course when I called the repair man in late November to fix the problem, the dry worked fine and he told me that he could not fix it since it was working perfectly fine when he was there.

Now after 6 months of my dryer working perfectly, my dryer is now up to it’s old tricks again. Should I have the coils replaced again or is there another problem that I should be looking at? How long should dryer coils last anyway?

Wilson

Should I have the coils replaced again
    Without any testing to determine if they're the problem? I wouldn't usually suggest it.

How long should dryer coils last anyway?
    There is no set life span but in most cases several years at least.

or is there another problem that I should be looking at?
    That's a possibility too.

You can read how a dryer gas burner is suppose to operate at the following link. Maybe it will give you an idea of what tests can be performed to try to pinpoint the problem?

LINK > Generic Gas Dryer Information

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thank you very much Dan O. I appreciate your help and suggestions. I will give them a try, and hopefully I will be able to solve my problem and fix my dryer.

Thanks so very, very much.

Wilson

Comment

Working...
      X
      =