X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kenmore dryer is dead

Kenmore electric dryer
    Model # 110.64672400

I bought it new around 4 years ago. Not the most expensive model but not the cheapest, either.

It was running, I had it set on timed dry (as usual) The buzzer saying it was done went off, didn't seem like it had been running long enough. The clothes were damp (and warm) I put it back on timed dry again, started it, a few minutes late the end buzzer went off, same. Damp and warm. (I wasn't paying close attention I don't remember if the timer dial had moved to OFF or not)
    I tried it again, and nothing happened. Put it back on timed dry, and on the actual TIME drying side, nothing happened. ON button is dead.
    The light inside the dryer goes on when door is openned.
    My son has worked for an electrician and has test equipment. He took the back part off today and said the ON button is working. And, he thinks the switch in the door is working.
    He doesn't know about appliances, just trying to see what it might be.
    He is coming back tomorrow to take the entire top off.
    He thinks it might be the timer, but I hate to buy another one, if we're not sure.
    There's a thermal fuse mentioned in some info. Not sure if he found this and/or tested it to see if it's good.
    He works nights, so can only come for a short time before work everyday.
    I thought I might get some info from someone who knows more about it, to print out for him to go by?
    I'm on Social Security don't have much extra money. I can't afford to have SEARS (or a repairman). I don't think we have a Sears where I live now, anyway (rural New England)

So, if I could get this dryer fixed, it would be a help.

The alternative, if it's unfixable or would cost too much, is to look for a 2nd hand or reconditioned dryer.

Thanks!

Prelude to fire?

There's a thermal fuse mentioned in some info. Not sure if he found this and/or tested it to see if it's good.
    That model does have a thermal fuse (see the following link) which if open would prevent the motor from running which in turn would prevent heating, as a safety precaution.

LINK > Kenmore 110.64672400 Thermal Fuse

The buzzer saying it was done went off, didn't seem like it had been running long enough. The clothes were damp (and warm)
    Plugged, partially plugged or poorly installed venting is a common cause of poor drying. If any type of thermal fuse or protector has failed *extensive* cleaning and inspection of the dryer venting *all the water from the dryer to the outdoors* should be done!

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

We finally did track down (and find) the thermal fuse My son tested it and said it's dead.
      I have ordered another one and it's on the way.
      Hopefully, that will fix it.
      Unless it's something else that caused the fuse to blow. But, it probably did need vacuuming and cleaning.
      We will get it all cleaned and vacuumed out while it's apart.
      Thanks

Comment

Thermal fuse failure first line of defence against dryer fire - you've been warned!

We will get it all cleaned and vacuumed out while it's apart.
        It is the actual venting that is most important to be thoroughly cleaned (probably needing more than just vacuuming as well) and all the way from the dryer to the outdoors (not just from the dryer to the wall).

Vacuuming inside the dryer wouldn't hurt either and if there is a big mess there, is pretty much a sure sign the vent installation probably needs redesigning.

JFYI

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

UPDATE

Got the part, got it all cleaned out,cleaned the vent, too, it's a light aluminum type pipe that runs up the wall(not inside it, this is an old house) and outside.
          My son put in the new thermal fuse, and started it.
          First time it ran a bit, but made a scraping kind of noise.
          He tried turning the tub by hand, and it turned, but then when he pushed the ON button nothing happened.
          It was heating, just not turning. Just the ON buzzer noise.
          He was trying this a few times, lightly trying to get it to turn, and apparently the thermal fuse blew again.
          I guess we have given up on it.
          In the meantime I had gotten another one (someone saw and got for me, with a FOR SALE WORKS-$20 sign on it. It does work but not really great. Has to be on the longest dry setting to do much.
          It's okay for now, but is probably not good for the electric bill.
          I don't know about dryers, but seems like either they'd work or not (the heating element). Without really knowing, I might be guessing something isn't running as long as it should. The sensor that tells wen it's dry? It's been nice out, so I've been hanging clothes out and haven't paid much attention to it. LIke how long it runs, etc.
          I should probably put it on the timed dry and also time it on the clock and see how that works.
          I usually put a dryer on the "dry" (more dry, etc) setting that senses when it's done and stops.

Comment

Working...
          X
          =