Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 model Frigidaire electric stove

I have a 1963 model Frigidaire stove which has been in the family for half a century. My parents bought this deluxe model (RDG-308C-63) new. It has been working well all these years, only recently the switch for the front large element started to malfunction. First, the indicator (pilot) light would not turn on when the switch was on. Sometimes, the heating element would remain at high when the switch was off. I don't know where to buy the replacement infinite switch. Can I use any newer switch? The terminals are numbered from 1 to 5 (not the usual L1 L2 H1 H2 P).

go to the following site, click on electrical, then infinite switches
    Infinite Switches: American HVAC Parts

Comment

Thanks, HayZee. I just bought a Robertshaw universal switch from ebay for $16. Hope it'll work. This old Frigidaire stove is very well made. I make violins as a hobby. In addition to daily cooking, I use the stove to heat treat my tool steels (to harden the tool steel, heating to 800-1000 degree Celsius is required). The ring at the edge of heating element is made of stainless steel, when it is discolored, I can always polish it to make it shine.

Comment

Wrong rotation

Can I use any newer switch?
        If you post the numbers printed on the original part, they can probably be traced to the proper current replacement part.

I just bought a Robertshaw universal switch. Hope it'll work.
        It's dial calibrations will likely be exactly oppose to what the original switch was. (ie. When the dial indicates on "HI" the element will actually be on "LO" or vise versa).

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.ca
        The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Thanks, Dan. The part numbers on the switch for 6" burner are: STYLE 7521242 5.4-6.4A, MODEL 71500. The shaft is 1/4" with 2 grooves so the end looks like figure 8. The deluxe stove was made in Canada; all the chrome and stainless parts are shining like new.

The robertshaw switch (5500-225) I bought specifically mentions turning COUNTER clockwise from OFF to HIGH. Most switches turn CW and are cheaper ($12) from the supplier in Lancaster, PA.
          Last edited by violin; 09-15-2009, 03:59 PM.

Comment

The part numbers on the switch for 6" burner are: STYLE 7521242
            The factory replacement for that switch is available and can be seen at the following link:

LINK > GM Frigidaire Element Switch

JFYI

Dan O.
            Appliance411.ca
            The Appliance Information Site
            =D~~~~~~

Comment

At $60 each (240 for 4 switches), it does not make any sense at all to repair the stove, while a brand new stove can be had for $400.

Comment

Originally posted by violin

At $60 each (240 for 4 switches), it does not make any sense at all to repair the stove
                Does it need 4 switches? I thought you only said it needed one?

Dan O.

Comment

Yes, I only need one for the time being. I think robertshaw 5500-290 made for Whirlpool should work for my stove also. Since 2 switches share one indicator light, I must be careful to connect the light to the same line-in. If one side of the light is connected to Line 1 and another to line 2, that means short-circuit when 2 switches are turned on. The switches on my stove do not mark L1 and L2. The switch on the stove is very much like old car ignition, after a while, the contact point burns out.
                  Last edited by violin; 09-16-2009, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I replaced my stove switch with Robertshaw Universal switch 5500-225. The switch dial on my stove turns counterclockwise from OFF to HI. Among 5500 series of switches, only 3 turn CCW (5500-225, 290, and 299, 299 is a push to turn type). the rest are CW type. (the switch Dan O. mentioned above is also CW type.) There is another difference; in the original Frigidaire switch, the heating element in the switch and the burner element are connected in series, while in Robertshaw switch, they are connected in parallel. Therefore, Robertshaw switch can be used for both large and small burner elements. This is my first experience of fixing the stove. Most people would throw away their old stove instead of fixing it; it's better to buy a new one.
                    Last edited by violin; 09-24-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =