Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whirlpool washer quits b4 rinse cycle

My Whirlpool washer is about 15 years old but I am disabled, destitute and can't afford to buy another. The model number is LSR5233A (followed by N0 or No) Washer stalls full of water/clothes before the rinse cycle. I picked up lid, closed it again then it finished normally. Next load did the same thing. The safety switch portal was mildly dirty so I cleaned it out with a q-tip. I decided I better scrape off and thoroughly clean the moderately thick soap scum that laid atop the drum. I then ran a little water into the barrel, dipped a small scrubbing bush in it and thoroughly gave it a finishing scrub under the top, the edge behind the drum and the top of the drum. I felt under the top where the housing of the saftey switch is and it felt closed up so I brushed that area with a wet brush also. I dried everything, closed the lid and set the dial to rinse but nothing happened. Now it won't spin at all.

Is this a timer issue or a safety switch issue. I have the timer exposed but cant test it until I find an ohm meter. If this is a safety switch issue then does anyone know how (or) "if" the top will come off for me to get to this switch? Michele

Lid switch problem?

Whirlpool washer model number is LSR5233AN0 stalls full of water/clothes before the rinse cycle.
    If the timer stops moving right at that point as well, that is usually caused by a problem with the lid switch (see the following link) or it being activated properly.

LINK > Whirlpool LSR5233AN0 Lid Switch

does anyone know how (or) "if" the top will come off for me to get to this switch?
    No it doesn't. It stays attached to the cabinet and that cabinet gets removed (or at least tilted forward) for service (see the link below).

LINK > Direct Drive Washer Lid Switch Replacement

JFYI

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

So far so good!

Hi Dan O and thanks for the great advice and links on how to remove the lid switch. I am so glad I found this website and forum. Whirlpool told me I'd have to purchase a new machine or.... $150.00 for a new timer. I just didn't think it was the timer when the lid switch lost it's "click" before it quit going to the rinse cycle. It was very easy to remove the switch but I couldn't have done it without your help. Not only has it lost it's click, but you can hear something little rattling lose inside. I will purchase a new switch tomorrow and let you know what happens after that! Thank you so much! Michele

Comment

New lid switch has been installed.....

It is working!!!!

I received the new lid switch today and it did indeed match the lid switch you recommended. The switch had a good "click" to it and all was well. I installed the switch per your directions and the washer is working again!! But here is the flop...
        the new switch lost it's click before I even reconnected the power. Do you have any idea if I did something wrong or did this new switch fail in it's ability to stop the washing/rinsing cycle when you open the lid. Maybe the switch wasn't the bargin I thought it was! lol I don't mind that it doesn't stop....but bothers me a little it isn't quite right.

Michele

Comment

Do you have any idea if I did something wrong
          Not without actually looking into it, no.

or did this new switch fail
          Someone there will have to determine that or at least look into it. You can read about continuity testing at the following link:

LINK > How do I test for continuity?

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =