Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore Series 90 dryer stops/starts

recently replaced blower motor 3395654 with a 279787. Dryer runs OK for about 5 minutes then stops. Comes back on on its own after about 2 minutes and then cycles off/on every 2 minutes or so. Current draw is 5.7+/- . My manual shows start winding draw to be 2.4 to 2.8 and run draw to be 2.6 to 3.4. Can my new motor be bad?/

Model number?

Kenmore Series 90 dryer
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number ("Series 90" isn't it). If you post it we can look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

You can find tips for locating the model and serial number identification tag on your appliances at the following link:

LINK > Model Number Tag Location Guide

runs OK for about 5 minutes then stops. Comes back on on its own. Can my new motor be bad?
    If the motor was defective it wouldn't start running by itself, it would only stop prematurely. So the motor is not likely the cause of your stated symptom.

Are these symptoms occurring during an 'timed' setting or only an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 03-04-2010, 05:14 PM.

Comment

Dan O. Kenmore Dryer START/STOP

Dan o. Thanks for the response

dryer model #110.66912690

start/stop problem is in all modes (timer,auto,air dry)

all other functions seem to be ok.

Dryer starts by itself after a run cycle is started by the
      start button unless door has been opened.

Comment

Motor problem?

[dryer model #110.66912690] starts by itself after a run cycle is started by the start button unless door has been opened.
        On that model the motor should not start running without the start button being pushed.

The cutting out prematurely is a common symptom of a failing motor. That can be caused by either the motor's cooling ports plugged up with lint and dust, etc. causing it to overheat and cut out on its internal overload protector or a problem in the motor itself.

LINK > Kenmore 110.66912690 Dryer Motor

Once the motor had a chance to cool its overload protector would reset but under normal conditions it should still need the start button to be pressed to get it running again. The only way it might not need to be was if either the start switch was shorted (in which case it should never need to be pushed to get it running) or there was a problem with the centrifugal switch on the motor. I myself have never come across the second case but might be possible.

I can't think of any other explanation on your particular dryer design.

JMO

Dan O.
        www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Kenmore 90 start/stop

Thanks again for your response

i agree, it must be a motor issue.
          Motor is new. Do you know what the amperage should be
          during running
          before buying another motor i'll check drum roller brg and belt idler, and wiring connections
          Fyi
          my wiring diagram for this unit indicates that once the start bu tton energizes the holding coil, the only actions that deenergizes it are timer end of cycle and open door. Motor thermal cut-out or belt switch does not release the start button.

Thanks again

Comment

you stated that the motor is drawing double than the original motor. that is why the thermal overloads are tripping and resetting. check your dryer specs for a replacement motor or go to Dan O's site to find one.

Comment

Do you know what the amperage should be during running
              I don't but 5.7 amps seems excessive to me unless you're actually testing the heater circuit of the motor rather than the motor's actual power consumption.

Motor is new.
              What were the symptoms before replacing the motor?

JMO

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Wrinkle Guard?

Originally posted by Dan O.

the motor should not start running without the start button being pushed.
                I did come across this in a Kenmore dryer user's manual:

Originally posted by Kenmore Dryer Owner's Manual

WRINKLE GUARD helps keep your permanent press items wrinkle free when you don't unload the dryer promptly at the end of the AUTO DRY Cycle.

If you do not open the door at the end of the AUTO DRY Cycle, WRINKLE GUARD will tumble the clothes without heat for about 15 seconds every 5 minutes.

- On dryers with WRINKLE GUARD II, periodic tumbling will continue for about 40 minutes unless you open the dryer door.

- On dryers with WRINKLE GUARD Ill, periodic tumbling will continue for about 2-1/2 hours unless you open the dryer door.

- WRINKLE GUARD III has a selectable ON/OFF option. When WRINKLE GUARD III is set at OFF, the dryer stops after COOL DOWN and may be unloaded.

The End-of-Cycle SIGNAL will sound after each period of tumbling, unless it is off.
                and this from a Whirlpool dryer service manual:

Originally posted by Whirlpool Manual

Automatic dryers with a Wrinkle Guard or Finish Guard feature are equipped with a second timer called a pulser timer. The pulser timer assembly contains a timer motor and a cam-operated switch. On recent production models this is accomplished with only one motor.

The purpose of the pulser timer is to turn the dryer motor on periodically (after the dryer has cycled off) for 10 to 30 seconds (depending on your model) every 5 minutes and sound the buzzer for approximately 3 seconds until the dryer is opened and the load removed. This reduces the setting of wrinkles in the fabric.
                I do not see a pulse timer listed for your model so the main timer might be responsible for such a feature, if present, on your model.

I do however have these concerns before thinking that might be a possibility:

1. You said it occurs on ALL settings not just an 'auto' or 'permanent press' setting. As near as I can tell a Wrinkle Guard feature should only operate during 'auto' settings.

2. The amperage draw of the motor still seems excessive to me if it is in fact the correct measurement.

JFYI

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Kenmore series 90 starts/stops

Dan O. Thanks again for you spending your time researching my problem. I apoligize for my slow response to your last message, but I needed to allow my last fix to run for awhile before responding. I'll rehash the history.
                  The original dryer motor had stopped and a friend determined the motor was bad. Offered to replace it for $$$. I declined his offer, but he left my dryer partially disassembled. I re-assembled and it started fine. I checked the current draw to see if the motor was exceeding design. I got a reading of 5.6--5.9. (Motor nameplate is 5.9) The wiring diagram included with dryer had 2 numbers on the moter symbol (start winding 2.4-3.4 and run winding 2.4-3.6) I assumed these numbers to be amps which would mean the running amps was twice the design. So I decided to replace the motor. (I HAVE SINCE WENT OVER THE WIRING DIAGRAM AND CONCLUDED THAT THESE NUMBERS ARE WINDING RESISTANCES WHICH WOULD LEAVE ME TO BELIEVE THE CURRENT DRAW WAS PROBABLY WITHIN SPECS) The repacement motor is nameplated at 6.2 amps and after installation it exhibited the Stop/Start problem I described earlier. After recieving your last message I decided to recheck repacemeny motor current and it was running at 6.8. That led me to opening up the dryer with the thought of finding the problem. Tumbler rollers were OK, belt idler was OK, checked all wiring connections and found loose crimped connection on the belt switch. After bypassing the belt switch I re-assembled and it has worked fine for the last 10 days (10 loads) I'll keep my fingers crossed.
                  THANKS FOR YOUR TIME

Comment

Kenmore Dryer stop/start issue same

Originally posted by deweyc View Post
                    Dan O. Thanks again for you spending your time researching my problem. I apoligize for my slow response to your last message, but I needed to allow my last fix to run for awhile before responding. I'll rehash the history.
                    The original dryer motor had stopped and a friend determined the motor was bad. Offered to replace it for $$$. I declined his offer, but he left my dryer partially disassembled. I re-assembled and it started fine. I checked the current draw to see if the motor was exceeding design. I got a reading of 5.6--5.9. (Motor nameplate is 5.9) The wiring diagram included with dryer had 2 numbers on the moter symbol (start winding 2.4-3.4 and run winding 2.4-3.6) I assumed these numbers to be amps which would mean the running amps was twice the design. So I decided to replace the motor. (I HAVE SINCE WENT OVER THE WIRING DIAGRAM AND CONCLUDED THAT THESE NUMBERS ARE WINDING RESISTANCES WHICH WOULD LEAVE ME TO BELIEVE THE CURRENT DRAW WAS PROBABLY WITHIN SPECS) The repacement motor is nameplated at 6.2 amps and after installation it exhibited the Stop/Start problem I described earlier. After recieving your last message I decided to recheck repacemeny motor current and it was running at 6.8. That led me to opening up the dryer with the thought of finding the problem. Tumbler rollers were OK, belt idler was OK, checked all wiring connections and found loose crimped connection on the belt switch. After bypassing the belt switch I re-assembled and it has worked fine for the last 10 days (10 loads) I'll keep my fingers crossed.
                    THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
                    I have the same issue with our Kenmore Series 90 (same model). Three years later than deweyc! How do I go about "bypassing the belt switch." And for deweyc, did it continue to work?

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =