X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help with dryer belt

Hello!
    I have a Kenmore 110.68702894
    It was blowing hot air but not tumbling the drum so I assumed broken belt. I took it apart and found belt broken on the bottom and idler arm lying on it's side in the bottom of the dryer.

No local Sears had replacement parts, so I found this one at Lowes:

tinyurl.com/ylrgghp

It looks identical (4 ribs, same thickness, approximately same length) but seems to be a little bit shorter.

I have no idea how tight the belt should be. The one I took out seems to be a few inches longer, but maybe it stretched? The replacement belt is quite tight. I have to pull it over the motor hub and that doesn't even include the idler arm. It seems like the idler arm wouldn't even go in.

Nowhere online can I find the dimensions of the belt.

Should the belt be so tight that pulls the drum down and it's difficult to put the front panel of the dryer back together?

PS: I know I can order a replacement belt #341241 ($20.38) and the # 4392065 ($32.12) "Dryer maintenance kit for 29" Kenmore" which includes; 1 - 349241T Support Rollers Twin Pack 1 - 691366 4 - 690997 Tri Rings from Sears, but I don't feel like waiting for a week or more to get it in the mail. Would like to buy locally, but need to know how long the belt should be.

Edit:I found a site that sells replacements (not Sears part number) that says they are 92" long. I measured my broken one, since it was split, and it measured 92.5". I measured the 'replacement' from Lowes, and it was 43.5", double that and add a little for the radii at the ends, and it's only 87". I guess I need to go find the right belt. I hope I can find it locally.
    Last edited by broken; 03-28-2010, 10:23 PM.

the site repairclinic dot com will show you the correct belt for your machine. the belt idler slips into two slots in the base of the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
      the site repairclinic dot com will show you the correct belt for your machine. the belt idler slips into two slots in the base of the machine.
      Yep that was it, I searched there for the Kenmore part number and found:

tinyurl.com/ydqn5v4

it says: Dryer belt, length 92 1/4”, width 1/4”, characteristics: 4 rib 3 grooves, flat- *Replaces many belts including some with 5 ribs

Comment

Was able to find replacement at some local stores. Most wanted 20-25 bucks but finally found it for $15. It's aound 5 bucks online but I needed it pretty quickly. I may order the belt+rollers from Sears just in case.

Comment

I may order the belt+rollers from Sears just in case.
          The 'maintenance kit' which includes the drum rollers, idler pulley and belt is slightly cheaper at the following vendor:

LINK > 4392065 Dryer Maintenance Kit

JFYI

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
          X
          =