Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freezer defrosting

A couple weeks ago I noticed my freezer stopped making ice and the ice in the icemaker was slowly melting. Which made me pay closer attention to the fridge temp which was also warmer. I cleaned the coils which were pretty dusty and unplugged the unit for a day. After plugging it back in it worked fine for the last 2 weeks but is now doing the same thing. The compressor is warm but not hot. Any ideas on what the problem could be. Its a GE side by side, 9 years old. Any help is appreciated!

The evaporator coils are inside the freezer side usually behind a panel in the back. If you can take a mirror and see if you can see behind the panel and see if the coils are frosted over. If the are you may have a low charge of freon or the defrost cycle isnt working right. Sometimes you have to remove the cover to see the coils

Comment

Model number?

GE side by side, 9 years old
      I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can look it up to see what appliance design you're dealing with.

Forum Notice LINK > Please include Make and Model # in post

my freezer stopped making ice and the ice in the icemaker was slowly melting. the fridge temp was also warmer... unplugged the unit for a day. After plugging it back in it worked fine for the last 2 weeks but is now doing the same thing.
      It sounds like you might have a defrost system problem as described at the following link:

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
      X
      =