Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• strange noise from refrigerator freezer

I have a G.E. model TBF 19 DB 19 cu. ft refrigerator. Top has freezer, bottom is regular refrig. part. There is a off and on abnormal humming/whining noise from the freezer section that comes on when the fan seems to operate. It is not a constant hum but is intermittent and annoying and only seems to occur when the freezer motor kicks in. The freezer is operating properly otherwise.

What part do you think is causing this noise and is there anyway I can fix it? If so, how do I get to the part that needs fixing?

there are similar postings for similar refrigerators elsewhere on this forum. all problems seem to be the control board. loud whizzing sounds, creaks from the freezer compartment etc. all indicates the evaporator fan motor. call GE and talk to their service department. if your unit is still under warranty you may qualify for a free service call and - or replacement control board.

Comment

My refrig is out of warranty, so I am trying to determine if it is something I can fix myself. If it is the fan motor making this occasional whining/humming sound, can this fan be accessed and oiled to stop the sound, or is it electrical or a control board component and thus not fixable by myself? If it can be fixable by myself, how do I do it?

Comment

go to repairclinic dot com and try to find a blown up diagram of your fridge. see how the evaporator fan is installed. see hwat needs to be removed to get access to the fan. I would assume the fan is an open style fractional horsepower design. those motors have floating oil-lite bronze bearings. I imagine you can oil them but use something very light because they operate in a cold atmosphere.
        stay away from WD-40.

Comment

I went to repairclinic.com but my model number tbf19dbc G.E. refrigerator diagram is not listed. Do you have any other sources for a diagram, or can you walk me thru what needs to be removed? Once I locate the evaporator fan, how do I take it apart to oil? What type of oil do you recommend and where do I get it?

Do you feel that this can be the cause of the noise? Or, do you feel it is electrical/ I.C. board related?

Comment

Evaporator motor problem?

There is a off and on abnormal humming/whining noise from the freezer section that comes on when the fan seems to operate.
            It could be the bearings of the evaporator fan motor. That part is a common failure point. They often squeal when worn but humming might be a possibility as well. There aren't usually a lot of other components in the freezer that could be responsible for any sounds at all, let alone only when the fan is running.

LINK > My refrigerator is making strange sounds. What is wrong with it?

LINK > GE TBF19DBC Evaporator fan motor

Originally posted by HayZee518

there are similar postings for similar refrigerators elsewhere on this forum. all problems seem to be the control board.
            Those are about GE refrigerators of a much newer design. The OP's model does not have any circuit boards.

JFYI

Dan O.
            www.Appliance411.com
            The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

I shut the refrigerator off yesterday so that I can take off the inner plastic liner in the back of the freezer to look at this evaporator fan. Question, does the inner lining come off from the inside, how do I do it?

Once I get the inner liner off and the fan is exposed, I was going to start the refrigerator up to hear if the fan is making the noise I hear. If it is , I will shut the refrigerator off again ( pulling the plug ). How do I take the fan out? Another poster suggested that I can oil it as maybe it is dry in there. What type of oil do I use and where can I get it? Also, are there any instructions of how to take this fan apart to oil it?

Do you recommend what I am saying above? Thank you for helping.

Comment

does the inner [freezer back panel] come off from the inside
                Yes.

how do I do it?
                I'm afraid I have never worked on your exact model so I couldn't tell you how to go about it. Sorry.

Another poster suggested that I can oil [the fan motor]. What type of oil do I use and where can I get it?
                The bearings of such motors are saturated with oil in the manufacturing process. They are not designed to be oiled, just the whole motor replaced once they get to that point. IF you wanted to attempt it, a light weight turbine oil like seen at the following link could be tried. It is usually only a temporary solution though.

LINK > Zoom Spout Oiler

Under NO circumstances should WD40 be used! It is NOT a lubricant.

I was going to start the refrigerator up to hear if the fan is making the noise I hear. If it is, I will shut the refrigerator off again (pulling the plug)
                Once turned off the refrigerator should be left off for at least 10-15 minutes before trying to restart it. Do NOT turn the fridge OFF then ON again in rapid succession or damage to the compressor or refrigeration system can result.

JMO

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ok, I understand all that you said.

I was able to remove the back panel and now have the fan exposed. I turned on the refrig. and will wait to hear the noise again. Then I will open the freezer compartment and hear if the fan is the culprit making the noise. If it is, I will see if I can buy a new fan and it seems pretty simple to install. When I shut the refrig. off, I usually wait a few hours before I restart it so as not to damage anything.

If i don't replace the fan, but just live with the intermittent noise, will that cause any harm? It has been making this noise for years.

Comment

then I wouldn't worry about it. when it finally stops moving you'll notice uneven freezer temperatures. then you'll need to replace it.

Comment

A stitch in time...

I was able to remove the back panel and now have the fan exposed. I turned on the refrig. and will wait to hear the noise again.
                      Depending on how much it is disassembled, it may not cool properly. All covers must be in place for proper air flow throughout the appliance.

If i don't replace the fan, but just live with the intermittent noise, will that cause any harm?
                      No harm... until it fails for good at which time you might lose food but IMO it is not such an expensive part that the repair needs to be put off if found to be the problem. If your car engine is making a funny noise, do you wait until it won't run at all until getting it fixed?

JMO

Dan O.
                      www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ok, I know it's been a while but I finally got around to working on the problem. I agree that I need to wait at least 15 minutes before turning on the refrig.

I took off the inside freezer panel and the noise was coming from the evaporator motor fan. So I lubricated the fan shaft with a silicon lubricant designed for freezing temps and re-assembled the freezer. Started the freezer up and for over a week haven't heard the noise. Maybe the simple solution worked, I hope.

thanks for all who posted helpful tips.

Comment

did you physically remove the fan motor from the fridge? if you did, did you see how it is constructed? that motor is what is called an open faced fractional horsepower motor. the shaft goes through oil-lite bronze bearings. the bearing material is sintered bronze which only means the bronze metal is not solid but has microscopic opening throughout the material so oil can pass through it. the bearings are suspended in a felt type wick and two tempered spring clips that hold the bearing together. if that silicone lubricant is liquid see if you can saturate the felts. this way the oil will get wicked up into the sintered bronze material to the motor shaft.

Comment

you might check out the following site. they make the sintered bronze bearings. you might even find the bearings used in your fan motor.
                            Oil impregnated Sintered Bronze Sleeve Bearings

Comment

Hi

I did NOT physically remove the fan motor from the refrigerator. I wanted to see if lubricating the shaft would solve the noise, and it did. If i hear the noise again in the future, then I will either do as you suggested ( taking out the motor and lubricating the bearings ) or just buy a new motor for $40, or relubricating the shaft if the noise doesn't come back for at least a year.

Does this approach make sense?

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =