Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE bottom freezer stuck in defrost

Hi, I have a GE GDS20KCSAWW bottom-freezer refrigerator, bought in January 2008. The refrigerator part seems to be operating normally, but the freezer does not reach freezing temperatures and is very hot on the outside. I'm not normally here (this is my parents' house - I just got back home from college), but I believe it will normally do this for several days up to a couple weeks at a time, go back to normal for a little while, then do it again. I believe it is stuck in an auto-defrost cycle. I looked in the back of the freezer, and the cold air inlet does not appear to be obstructed, but it has some kind of cover over it that I can't really get a good look under.

Is there a particular part, such as the mainboard or thermostat, that is a common culprit for this type of refrigerator? I was not able to find much on the Internet about this model. I can likely replace the part myself, but since the refrigerator is full of food, any advice that can reduce the possibility of a one-day exploratory surgery turning into a week-long teardown would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I believe it is stuck in an auto-defrost cycle.
    That is extremely unlikely and if it were, it wouldn't cool at all.

the freezer does not reach freezing temperatures and is very hot on the outside.
    On the outside where exactly? If the perimeter of the cabinet or the mullion between the doors, that has nothing to do with the defrost cycle and is described at the following link.

LINK > My frost free refrigerator is not cooling properly. What might be the problem?

Fixing the cause of that might also correct the temperature issue.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~
    Last edited by Dan O.; 06-07-2010, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =