X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE dishwasher will not drain

model number: GSD5911D01SS
    serial number: FA601043A

Now that that is out of the way :^), my dishwasher has stopped draining and when the cycle is complete there is about 2-3" of water left in the tub (almost or even up to the heating element).

Full disclosure: I have been recently renovated my kitchen, and the D/W has been moved around a bit so I might have done something to it. As well, the water line that supplies the top washing arm was leaking and I bought and installed a new one about 2 weeks ago (at that point the unit was draining I think!)

I pulled the unit out and have run it many times on the rinse cycle to see if the water will ever drain with limited success (the levels are different but getting worse). However, I found the circuit diagram w/ testing functions sheet and ran the F-1 test cycle.... AND IT DRAINED!!!

I think I have found the aux pump on the right side at the back with the red and red/white wires. I put a voltage detector on the red wire and when the F-1 test called for the aux pump, my voltage detector beeped the whole time it was draining. Then I ran the rinse cycle and the voltage detector only chirped for a fraction of a second right before it was done.

I am confused!

Cheers,

-Dennis

Oh yeah...

1)Removed the filters and screens and such to the bottom of the sump and cleaned out the bits and pieces of debris (nothing big).

2)Took the back filter off and I am not sure if the plug (little umbrella looking thing - not sure what it is called) is worn enough to be a problem (I will probably take it out and compare it to a new one at the appliance parts store soon),

3)The large filter screen over the floor is disintegrating around the edge so I will probably get a new one of those too (sigh)

4)There is no garbage disposal and no air gap and the hose goes up to the counter before connecting to the drain (with about 6 extra feet of hose that is looped around) with no kinks or blockages (see-through tube!)

... and one question - is the aux pump the only one that does the draining? ... or does the main pump do draining as well (on instead) at other times in the cycle?

Cheers,

-Dennis

PS: I have read many other posts and while many seem similar - I have not found one exactly the same... but they did get me this far with taking apart the machine!

Comment

I am not sure if the plug (little umbrella looking thing - not sure what it is called) is worn enough to be a problem. I will probably take it out and compare it to a new one at the appliance parts store soon.
      That is likely the 'piston and nut assembly'. Any deterioration to it can cause draining (and possibly washing) problems.

LINK > Common GE Dishwasher Piston & Nut Asm. (with pictures)

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.ca
      The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

fixed

Yes - that was it. Bought, installed and tested!

As an aside, I finally found a page that explained that both pumps are used for pump out at different times. This explains a lot as I could not figure out why the aux pump was only running for a quick tick during normal cycles... supposedly just to empty out the sump a bit.

Thanks for reading and responding.

Cheers,

-Dennis

Comment

Working...
        X
        =