Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE Profile troubleshooting

Hello,

I have a GE Profile side-by-side fridge (model PSC25MSTA SS and serial TL49174). The freezer is working fine. The fridge is not cooling below 55 degrees. I thawed the fridge out and this did not solve the issue.

I am trying to troubleshoot what the issue is. I just bought this three years ago! I am assuming that the evaporator fan on the freezer side is working fine, since I am seeing and feeling cold air down the back of the freezer. I have read other reviews that said that the air damper/thermistor assembly may be the culprit. The express chill works just fine, though. I am not sure if this rules out the damper/thermistor assembly or not.

Another side note -- which may or may not be relevant -- last night when I was thawing the fridge, there was a considerable amount of ice surrounding the styrofoam that covers pipes (I assume) coming from the freezer into the fridge.

Basically, I am looking for further suggestions to identify the culprit (and to not spoil any more food!).

Thanks in advance!

Randy

More info

I had stated that the express chill works. This is accurate. The turbo cool does not work, though.

Another random observation is that the fridge makes a high pitch shrill often (when the condenser is running?). Again, not certain if this is relevant to troubleshooting.

I hope someone has some good info out there... :-)

Comment

Dual evaporator refrigerator

The freezer is working fine. The fridge is not cooling below 55 degrees... I have read that the air damper/thermistor assembly may be the culprit.
      The damper is usually for models where all cooling takes place in the freezer compartment and just some of that air is circulated through the fridge compartment to cool there. Your model has a separate evaporator (cooling) coil in the fridge compartment (behind the CustomCool™ drawer) to cool it. A thermistor telling the control what to do in that compartment might be responsible.

On models with a separate fridge compartment evaporator, a problem with that compartment's fan motor operation (see the link below) or the evaporator not being pumped with refrigerant could produce cooling problems in that compartment.

LINK > GE PSC25MSTASS Fridge Compartment Fan Motor

That refrigerator model is pretty complicated to service. You might want to call in a professional to look into it for you? Any refrigeration system problem will need to be looked at by them anyway.

JMO

Dan O.
      www.Appliance411.com
      The Appliance Information Site
      Last edited by Dan O.; 09-09-2010, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Nice diagnosis!

Dan,

You were right. It was that part. Nice diagnosis!

Thanks!!

Randy

Comment

You were right. It was that part.
          What part? Several things were mentioned.

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com
          The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Ge brand new side by side humming noise

What can I do? Is something wrong with my new GSHS6KGZSS It has a very load humming noise.

I read that it could be the motherboard? How could this be for it is brand new?
            Last edited by alisam; 09-13-2010, 11:03 PM.

Comment

Have you read any of the postings from the very beginning? A brand new machine can be faulty. I suggest you get in touch with GE.

Comment

Ge brand new side by side humming noise

Hi,

Thank you for your post! I was wondering if that hum is abnormal for that refridgerator?

Comment

Working...
                X
                =