Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenmore gas dryer overheating and shutting down in permanent press setting

I have a Kenmore 110.97195120 gas dryer (electronic/propane), 30 years old. Lately, I've found it to overheat and shut down when in the permanent press setting (lowest heat/highest drying). I can set it on knit/delicate, and it seems to dry fine. I opened the dryer up and cleaned the little bit of lint I could find, along with cleaning the already clear vent pipe, and nothing seems to change. I have the Part No. 3395267 Rev. B Parts List (in case there is a more current part list). It appears a part will need to be replaced. Please help me identify what part to replace. There are two part numbers for the thermistor (3390292) and Thermostat High-Limit 205°F (3388697) which appear to be the same part in the diagram. Thank you.

Based on the symptoms you've described and the age of your Kenmore gas dryer, it sounds like you're dealing with a temperature control issue. Here's my analysis and recommendation:

1. Symptoms: Overheating and shutting down on the permanent press setting (lowest heat/highest drying), but working fine on knit/delicate setting.

2. Possible causes:
    a. Faulty cycling thermostat
    b. Malfunctioning high-limit thermostat
    c. Problematic thermistor
    d. Issues with the control board

3. Parts to consider:
    a. Thermistor (Part No. 3390292)
    b. High-Limit Thermostat 205°F (Part No. 3388697)

Given that the dryer is functioning correctly on the lower heat setting but overheating on the higher setting, the most likely culprit is the cycling thermostat. This component regulates the temperature during the drying cycle.

However, since you mentioned that the thermistor and high-limit thermostat appear to be the same part in your diagram, it's possible that your model uses a combined component that serves both functions.

Recommendation:
    1. Replace the Thermistor/High-Limit Thermostat (Part No. 3390292 or 3388697). Since these appear to be the same in your diagram, they likely refer to the same component in your specific model.

2. If replacing this part doesn't solve the issue, the next step would be to check the heating element and the control board.

Before replacing any parts:
    1. Double-check all wire connections to ensure they're secure.
    2. Inspect the heating element for any visible damage.
    3. If possible, use a multimeter to test the continuity of the thermistor/thermostat before replacing it.

Given the age of your dryer, it's impressive that it's still functioning. Replacing this part might extend its life, but be prepared for the possibility that other components may start failing soon due to age.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
    X
    =