Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scottz
    replied
    Did you check the vent? A restricted vent will cause long drying times. Also, the easiest thing to fix; check first.

Leave a comment:

• Drywall DIY Guy
    replied
    Dryer Problems

You should verify that your washing machine is getting clothes as dry as it always has been. If clothes going into the dryer are wetter, then they will need more time to dry.

After that, it would be your heating element or the controls that regulate it. But as others have said, the heating element either works or it doesn't. Or in some cases may touch the cabinet and short out (producing too much heat). Controls can be pricey so you may wish to simply live with this for a while til it is time to get another dryer - you are not using any more energy if the heating element is set lower but takes more time.

Leave a comment:

• Rapstaylor
    replied
    OK. After cleaning the lint out and trying some drying, it still seems to take too long to dry. It takes approx. 90 minutes to dry a load of towels. I asked a couple of other people how long theirs takes on towels (which I know take longer than normal things) and I got answers from 50 minutes to 70 minutes. What would be the next logical thing to check?

Leave a comment:

• Drywall DIY Guy
    replied
    Dryer Problems

If you have had the dryer for 8 years and have not ever opened it up and cleaned it up (which sounds to be the case), then you should open it up (after disconnecting power of course), remove the drum, and thoroughly clean it. Also visually inspect the heating elements - look for coils possibly shorting out or other damage. In addition, clean out all venting. This is good maintenance that will not cost you. For good general guides on how to open up your electric dryer, go to Repair My Dryer - Free Tutorials To Help You Fix Your Dryer!

Leave a comment:

• Rapstaylor
    replied
    Ok vent is semi rigid metal with 2 curves. I took vent off and looked all the way thru it. Was some lint in it but not totally obstructed. At one curve it was maybe 25% blocked. I cleaned it all out and put it back on but havent tried it yet. Will keep you informed.

Leave a comment:

• Dan O.
    replied
    I looked down it and from the outside
    Could you see all the way from the outside to the inside?

The vent line is only about 3-4 ft. long from back of dryer to outside.
    A straight line? Rigid metal ducting? No kinks, bends or other possible obstructions?

from the force of air coming out the vent from outside it didn't feel stopped up
    It doesn't need to be totally blocked to affect drying.

Do you still think I need to try it with the line off?
    Since I can't see what is there myself I can only suggest you rule out each possibility for certain than we can move on to the next possibility if necessary. What I suggested is a pretty simple test to perform to make certain before tearing into the machine?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Leave a comment:

• Rapstaylor
    replied
    No I havent tried running it with the vent off yet. I took the vent off and looked down it and from the outside also. It looked clear and from the force of air coming out the vent from outside it didn't feel stopped up. The vent line is only about 3-4 ft. long from back of dryer to outside. Do you still think I need to try it with the line off?

Leave a comment:

• Dan O.
    replied
    Yes it is still heating
    Than did you try the test suggested at the link? That will at least absolutely rule out the venting as a possible cause.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Leave a comment:

• Rapstaylor
    replied
    Yes it is still heating but takes about twice as long to get things dry and it used to.

Leave a comment:

• Dan O.
    replied
    Is it heating?

Is the dryer at least heating some?

Checked the venting and it seems to be ok.
    Was the venting totally clear from one end to the other?

Did you try the test suggested at the link I supplied of running a load with the vent totally removed to see if drying improves? (only applicable if the dryer is heating at least some)

What would you suggest i check next.
    If the venting really isn't the problem, next would often be inspecting the heating element for a short to ground. The heating coil (looks like a spring) should be intact from one end to the other and none of it touching ground (the metal housing).

LINK > Whirlpool LER4634JQ1 Heating Element

If the dryer is not heating at all there are several of other components that will need to be checked as well.

LINK > Can anybody tell me the most likely scenarios for lack of heat in an electric dryer?

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Leave a comment:

• Rapstaylor
    replied
    OK. Checked the venting and it seems to be ok. I checked it at the outside and took off the vent from back of the dryer and made sure they were both clear. Also pulled out the lint screen and made sure the inside tube looked ok. What would you suggest i check next. By the way thanks for all your help!

Leave a comment:

• dfitz3390
    replied
    dryer

i assumed you had checked that my fault for assuming. will be glad to help anyway i can

Leave a comment:

• Rapstaylor
    replied
    I'm pretty handy at most things except electrical. Don't know alot about it but do have some friends I could ask. I would prefer to do it myself. I'll start by checking my venting to make sure all is clear there.

Leave a comment:

• LoraStar
    replied
    My friend has the same problem! Thanks, for the help, guys!

Leave a comment:

• Dan O.
    replied
    Check and/or *thoroughly* clean venting first

whirlpool dryer model LER4634JQ1. Lately it has been taking a long time to dry clothes.

My first thought would be the heating element
    Heating elements most often either work or they don't. If the dryer is heating at all I would suggest you start with its venting (see the following link).

LINK > How long can my dryer vent be?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Leave a comment:

Working...
X
=