Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gillette Generator no output

We've got a 6KW Gillette Generator that is no longer producing electricity. I got my hands on the service manual and have completed the diagnostic tests. According to the manual, I have a bad stator. I am not convinced that this is the problem. There has been no mechanical damage(dropped, etc.) it has not been in or exposed to water, and there is no visible sign of a short or other damage on the stator.

I am wondering if a bad diode(or two) will give a reading that the stator is shorted??

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

JR

the stator is fixed. the rotating part the rotor has the diodes as to produce DC a rotating DC field is necassary.

Comment

So it is safe to say that a faulty diode(s) will not affect the stator continuity tests? JR

Comment

the best way to check any motor or generator is with a MEGGER. this instrument uses a dc generator to impart a voltage on the article being tested and will show open, shorted windings. an open path in a stator will show no voltage out because the magnetic path is open.

Comment

Probably cant run down to the Wal Mart and pick up a MEGGER. Sounds expensive. I'm guessing a shop specializing in generator repair would have one. Unfortunately there isn't a shop within a reasonable distance from here. I'll check with one local fellow and see if he has a MEGGER. Is that an acronym for something?? Thanks for the help. JR

Comment

Working...
          X
          =