Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson/Spacemaster Dyer, noise and tub not moving

Dyer: Gibson/Spacemaster #EL/27M6W-X
    mAKING GRINDING NOISE AND TUB IS NOT MOVING?
    i'M GUESSING BEARINGS?
    LOOKING FOR SOME INSTRUTIONS? Thanks,Mark

Worn drum shaft/bearing?

Gibson/Spacemaster #EL/27M6W-X
    I found listings for models EL27M6WXFA, EL27M6WXFB and EL27M6WXFC. Please verify the model on the appliance's identification tag.

[dryer is] Making grinding noise and tub is not moving
    On that design of dryer a worn rear drum bearing and shaft can result in your symptom.

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFA Dryer Drum Shaft and Bearing Kit

Leading up to total failure, the dryer would often make (possibly horrendous) screeching sounds as the drum turned. The sound is often a warning of impending failure and a clue to have it looked into. If left too long (like the point of total failure) it can cause other damage to the appliance as well.

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

IT is #EL27M6WXFC

THE DYER WAS RUNNING WITH A LOAD IN IT AND THEN I STARTED HEARING A LOUD NOISE AND IT WAS THE DYER, STOPPED IT UNLOADED IT AND THEN RAN A COUPLE QUICK TESTS, RESULTED IN ME FINDING OUT THE BASKET WASN'T MOVING. it happened all at once, no noise before, but it does sound like it is the problem. I'll look up the part with what you sent me an just enter FC to find the right one.
      Sounds like I need to pull out the unit , take the back off and find the part. Is there a way to test the part? Spin by hand?
      I just went and spun the basket by hand an there was no noise, just giving info.

Comment

Dryer Problems

Either the back plate and bearings are bad, or perhaps it is even unattached. From what I see, this dryer appears to be near identical to the one shown at Kenmore Dryer Heating Element Repair & Replacement Model 41783042201 Pop the top and inspect the drum and rotate it by hand. If your dryer is like this Kenmore, be watchful for the heating coil popping off and grounding out at some point as well. Also, while you have the dryer apart, clean all lint out thoroughly. If you have such a questionable heating coil setup, you may wish to get a different dryer rather than invest in this one if the replacement part cost is high.
        Drywall Taping & Finishing For Beginners
        http://drywallinfo.com

Comment

IT is #EL27M6WXFC
          The drum shaft for that model should be the same as the one in the kit I linked to previously.

Is there a way to test the part?
          If it were damaged a visual inspection should be all that was necessary. It would be plainly visible (cut in two).

it happened all at once, no noise before
          Than the drum shaft might just have 'popped' out of the bearing it fits into at the back. It is often referred to a 'trailer hitch' design because of how the ball of the drum shaft just fits into the bearing which is shaped like a socket.

Sounds like I need to pull out the unit , take the back off and find the part.
          On laundry centers (stacked washer/dryers) service is usually done from the front (or top for the dryer portion). Although for a new Frigidaire laundry center design (Frigidaire makes Gibson appliances), the service manual at the following link might give you some ideas how to go about servicing yours.

LINK > Frigidaire 27 inch Gas and Electric Laundry Centers

Originally posted by Drywall DIY Guy

From what I see, this dryer appears to be near identical to the one shown at...
          While most Frigidaire built dryers in the last 20+ years are of a similar style, the OP's machine being a laundry center will make servicing different. Many of the internal components may be similar in appearance though.

BTW. Removing the screws to separate the drum from the shaft as illustrated at that site makes for a lot more difficultly in servicing Frigidaire dryers. The whole drum with shaft still attached can be lifted from the rear bearing. Trying to get those drum shaft screws back in afterward can be very tricky and usually an unnecessary waste of time... unless replacing the shaft anyway.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Last edited by Dan O.; 02-13-2012, 04:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the Link to Frigidaire manual Dan O

I have taken the top off and then took the back off and took the drum out that way, after taking the 3 screws out of the hitch ball plate first.
            At this point i felt like i could figure out what was wrong.the drum belt was broken, i saw that before i took out the drum, but i wanted to see the bearing asembily you were talking about, so i took out the drum.
            The bearing hitch plate looked okay, so i could only see 2 problems. 1. The most obvious the belt was broke and 2. How was i going to get this all back together, like you said getting thoose screws to line up didn't look like fun and the way i took it apart just didn't look right on how i was going to put it back together that way,so thank you ,thank you, thank you, for the link, taking the front off and putting the back on first and taking the bearing hitch plate an attaching it to the drum and then putting the drum in makes more sense.
            The grinding sound appears to be the idler pulley grinding on the shaft of the motor pulley. I could see fresh scarring on the shaft and idler pulley arm.
            So it seems that the belt just broke. I checked the motor and it turns free, and the hitch plate looks okay, is there anything else i should check? While i have it apart?
            The belt wont be in till friday. Thanks again

Comment

The grinding sound appears to be the idler pulley grinding on the shaft of the motor pulley.
              That might occur with the belt off, yes.

So it seems that the belt just broke.
              Good.

is there anything else i should check while i have it apart?
              Just the front drum support glides and felt seals for obvious signs of wear and maybe make sure the idler pulley doesn't wobble on the shaft due to a worn center hole.

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFC Front Dryer Drum Glide Kit

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFC Idler Pulley Asm.

Nothing else I can think of.

Dan O.
              www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Gibson-el27m6wxfc dyer

Well the beilt didn't last a year? The drum drags when you try and spin it by hand ? The motor runs freely and the pulley seems okay. What do i need to check to see what is making the drum hard to turn? And is there a link out there on how to take this model apart? There were some links on this thread before that did that, but now they send you to vw and elextrolux? Thanks for any help. Oh and how do i know which belt is the right belt? Some places call for a v belt and some don't mention a v belt?thanks for any help

Comment

Originally posted by diamark

The drum drags when you try and spin it by hand. What do i need to check to see what is making the drum hard to turn?
                  Probably only the rear drum shaft and bearing and the front drum support glides and felt seals for obvious signs of wear as mentioned previously.

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFC Front Dryer Drum Glide Kit

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFC Rear Drum Shaft and Bearing Kit

And is there a link out there on how to take this model apart?
                  Not to my knowledge.

There were some links on this thread before that did that, but now they send you to vw and elextrolux
                  That site is no longer available to the public. You should have downloaded that manual when you had the chance.

You can purchase a paper copy at this link:
                  LINK > Frigidaire/Tappan/Gibson 27" Laundry Center Service Manual

Oh and how do i know which belt is the right belt?
                  Order the one called for by model number described as the dryer belt.

LINK > Gibson EL27M6WXFC Belts

JFYI

Dan O.
                  www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =