Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE model 20 Bottom Freezer Icemaker

I have a rather new GE Model 20 series Bottom Freezer unit with icemaker installed. Last week it quit making ice... I emptied the ice cube tray, and made sure that the fill arm was in the empty (out) position. I noticed that the ice cube maker tray had no water in each little cube slot.. When I depressed the freezer door switch, no water flowed into the empty tray...I shut the freezer off for about 1/2 hour and when I turned it back on, a small about (about 1 second) of water would flow into the tray (you could hear the solenoid switch cycle on/off). It made about 50 cubes over the past two dfays but quit again with no water being dispensed into the tray (they are dry).. This unit has no water filter to plug... I hate to call a repairman for something that I am overlooking first... any ideas on what to do? Is it possible that the fill line is freezing?? just a guess..
    Last edited by DD716TED; 01-20-2011, 03:46 PM.

Model number?

rather new GE Model 20 series Bottom Freezer
    I'm afraid that is not enough information to identify the appliance in question. What is needed is its exact model number. If you post it we can at least look it up to see the appliance design you're dealing with.

When I depressed the freezer door switch, no water flowed into the empty tray
    The icemaker mechanism controls when it will fill, not the door switch.

you could hear the solenoid switch cycle on/off
    Someone might have to determine whether the water flow stopped due to the power to the valve being discontinued or if power was there but not filling, it might indicate a bad water valve perhaps cutting out prematurely.

LINK > How do I test a water fill valve?

JMO

Dan O.
    www.Appliance411.com
    The Appliance Information Site

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Model #

The model # is GDS20KCSAWW... I knew that the doow switch had nothiing to do with the water BUT the door must be closed for the ICE maker to have power.. that is what I meant...

Comment

Schematic

With a schematic in hand, I can fix about anything.. BUT I can't find the schematic for this refrigerator... It is usually on the rear of the unit but nothing is there...I called GE and they said that I should contact a service center (technician) who would have one.. Does anyone have a schematic for this unit? I am about 80% certain that the water valve is faulty... I can fill the ice tray manually (with tablespoon) and the ice will freeze and eject.. I hear the valve trying to open (click..click..) then no water. There is water pressure up to the connection on the refrigerator (tested it) I am also wondering that since the water to the refrigerator was shut off while on vacation for several weeks (the ice maker was left on) might have caused the valve to fail??

Comment

Icemaker not filling

I can't find the schematic for this refrigerator... It is usually on the rear of the unit but nothing is there.
          On older refrigerator models that was true. On newer models it is often either in the compartment behind the lower kickplate or inside the control console.

I am about 80% certain that the water valve is faulty. I can fill the ice tray manually and the ice will freeze and eject. I hear the valve trying to open (click..click..) then no water.
          If the icemaker is just not filling, the water line to the icemaker may have frozen closed and just need to be thawed. If such a condition repeats, a problem with water pressure to the fridge may have to be looked into.

If the water valve is needed, it might be a bit difficult to find the proper replacement. Your refrigerator model did not originally come with an icemaker but one was added on. You might need to get the numbers off the original water valve to trace its replacement since it won't be listed in the fridge's parts list.

I think the water valve used in the add-on I/M kit might be the one at the following link:

LINK > GE Add-on Icemaker Single Water Valve

I am also wondering that since the water to the refrigerator was shut off while on vacation for several weeks (the ice maker was left on) might have caused the valve to fail?
          No. The icemaker valve should NOT be affected by just not having water pass through it. It shouldn't care.

BTW. Since the icemaker on your fridge was an optional item added on, it may not be shown on the fridge's wiring diagram.

JMO

Dan O.
          www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~
          Last edited by Dan O.; 01-21-2011, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Status Report - continuing

I managed to get a new solenoid valve (exact replacement) ... I checked the water pressure coming to the solenoid fill valve and it is full pressure and OK... I then checked the water fill tube entering the freezer compartment and it was frozen solid.. I removed it, cleaned all ice out of it and put everything back together... made one batch of ice and then the pipe froze again... Doing what I should have done the first time and tore everything apart again and installed the new solenoid valve, cleaned out fill pipe again, and made sure that the opening from the water collector at the bottom of the fill pipe was open to the ice tray then powered up the system again... This time I cut the freezer setting back.. later today I should know... but if the fill pipe freezes again, I am lost as to what to do... it shouldn't be freezing...

Comment

all fixed..

The problem with the freezing fill pipe was that it was inserted to far into the refrigerator and rested up against the funnel like box that puts the water in the tray... When there was standing water in this pipe, it froze and stopped the entire process.... made sure the fill pipe was firmly seated in the connector on the back on the refrigerator and reinsteted it.. now is could drain freely.. and ice is being made.. Thanks to all who offered advice and suggestions... saved me $$$$$

Comment

fill pipe was inserted too far into the refrigerator
                Good catch! I hope correcting that solves the problem for you.

Dan O.
                www.Appliance411.com

=D~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                X
                =