Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Volume Output from Sony Stereo

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and need some help. I have a Sony LBT-G3300 combo stereo with tape deck, cd player, am/fm radio, etc built in to the unit. Anyways, I have had if for quite a while now, but a few years after I had it I began to have problems with it and long story short Sony never fixed it and I boxed it up until now.

The problem I am having is really weird. It has am/fm mode, cd player mode, tape mode, phono mode, and video (aux) mode. The stereo will cycle between all the different modes or functions but it outputs low volume on all the modes except on video (aux) mode which works perfectly fine. It will play tapes and cd's, but the only way you can hear them is to turn the stereo all the way up to max and then to hear any output you have to put your ear right up to one of the speakers and then it is barely audible.

I really don't think there could be much wrong with the system and I would like to fix it and put it in my garage. Thanks in advance for any help!!

internally there are shielded wires that connect the components to the main amplifier board. the volume control usually is the first thing to look at because it varies the signal to the first amp stage. it is a non linear device. most likely it is a film type resistance in the control. dirt and dust gets into this and creates a high resistance to the circuit. use some tuner cleaner and spray it directly into the hole between the shaft and the three solder terminals and rotate the shaft a few times and spray insiode again. wait for the solvent to evaporate and try the unit. look for unsoldered grounds on the shielded wires.

Comment

Thanks I will have to give that a try ... the only thing that confuses me is why does the AUX mode work perfectly fine and play normal volume when the other settings do not.

Comment

aux is hardly ever used

Comment

Well, I tried what you said and it still isn't working properly. Anything else I can try?

Comment

how about the switch for the inputs?

Comment

I checked it and it seems to be working properly also.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =