Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small dish cable voltage...

We had some problems with reception from the small dish network to our house. We have three receivers. Two went out over a period of a few weeks. So, I checked some of the connections. I was surprised to get a small tingle between my leg and the aluminum ladder while checking the three wires at the dish itself! Is there that much voltage in those wires??

there is a small DC current going from the receiver to the LNB amplifier for the electronics, but this should be grounded out through the ground rod. the shield should be grounded. you do have a ground rod installed, don't you?

Comment

Grounding...

Ground rod? There are two for the main house, but...for the lnb's? Should I install a special ground by that pole? It's in cement, so I would have no confidence it's conducting even when wet.

Comment

there is a termination made just for grounding out a tv cable. it is a bracket with two female F connectors back to back and a hole and a screw for a ground wire. it usually goes in-line where the cable goes into the house.

Comment

Ground cable.

Ah, yes. I have seen those. So all I need do is tie that to some kind of ground rod? I presume any where along the line would work? As long as it grounds the braid?

Comment

Yeah, and it's supposed to guard against a lightning strike on your dish.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =