Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best hardware to secure 2x4 to garage wall

Hi! I'm building a 2' x 5' workbench in the garage. The frame and the 4 legs will be built with 2x4's. The top will be 2 2x12's. I would like to secure the 5' span to the drywall for added stability. I realize that I will need to attach these 5 footers to the wall studs, but what size hardware would be best for this purpose - 3/8" lag screws? If so, how long - 3", 3 1/2"? Would 3 1/2" drywall screws work or would lag screws be better? Thanks.

screws would be better but standard 3 1/2 common nails would work. locate the studs and go to town!

Comment

Thanks. Would drywall screws work ok or would I be better off using some thin hex head lag screws, or wouldn't it matter. (The weight will be mostly supported by the legs.)

On second thought, I guess I answered my own question. If you think common nails would work then certainly drywall screws would be the next step up.
      Last edited by Kid; 04-05-2011, 06:14 AM.

Comment

the 2x4 going across horizontal is called a ledger board. it just serves as a height factor for the bench. unless you are going to bang heavily on it you could get away with angled 2x4s supporting a 2x4 coming out from the wall and ledger. your 2x12 then go across the 2x4 extending outward. I got a similar setup in my work area but I used 5/4 clear pine screwed to the cross members.

Comment

DO NOT use drywall screws, they have no shear strength whatsoever. Stay with either nails or better still lag screws.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Thanks all! Great advice as always.

I thought about using angled 2x4's, but I want to include a shelf at the bottom and want to mount it to the forward legs.

Comment

Thought I'd give you guys an update.... Project's finished!!!! I'm not much of a carpenter. However, I must say that the entire thing looks great. It's also as solid as the Rock of Gilbraltar. (I used a couple of 3 1/2 inch hex head lag screws to attach the ledger board to the studs.) If we ever have a bad tornado around here the only thing standing will be the chimney and my fabulous bench. Thanks again for your input. It's appreciated.

Comment

Working...
              X
              =