Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What type of wood is this. Pics Posted.

I removed a piece of my baseboard to determine what type of wood it is. Can anyone help?

That is definitely not plywood. When you examine plywood it will have multi-layers of thin veneers glued together so that the the alternating layers of grain are at right angles to each other.

The piece you have in the picture is milled from solid wood. It is difficult to identify the species of wood from the pictures but I would suggest you take the piece you have pictured in your hand to a local lumber supplier and they should be able to identify the species for you.

Also, If you plan on preserving the moldings you are taking off, do not pound the nails out from the backside as that will cause the finished face of the wood to splinter and split out. Instead, use a pair of pliers to pull the nail through the wood from the backside. That will prevent splitting. I have prepared an illustration in the Illustration forum.

Comment

I looks like cedar??? to me... Never encountered cedar basebaords before tho...

Comment

When we are in doubt we take wood samples to our local woodworking hobby shop. The guys in there have a PASSION for wood to say the least! They almost always have the answers...

Go find the experts!

Amanda
        Welcome to Artistic Illusions, where imagination is given life through the innovative skills of artist and owner Larry Anderson.
        Amanda
        www.artisticillusions.com

Comment

It looks like it could be hemlock. Back in the 60's, most moldings and casings were made of hemlock...at least in the upper midwest they were.

Comment

Looks to be quartersawn. This would be an expensive grade of wood to use as molding. I can't tell the species. Oak is often quarterssawn but this doesn't look like oak. Give someone a look at the back side for a better look a color and grain.

Comment

If the board is going to be painted, any 1x6 board will do.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              <center></center>

Comment

Working...
              X
              =