Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Questions

I have been experimenting using my router to put a rounted edge on strips of oak.. No matter what I do, I keep on getting burn marks on the oak... I am new at this and want to perfect my abilities before I continue on a project using good wood instead of scraps. What am I doing wrong?

How dull is your cutter blade and how hard is your wood? THAT is were I would say your problem lies. You need real sharp new equipment, whether a saw blade or ANY cutter when trying not to burn your way thru or around oak.

Comment

Originally posted by Phelps
      How dull is your cutter blade and how hard is your wood? THAT is were I would say your problem lies. You need real sharp new equipment, whether a saw blade or ANY cutter when trying not to burn your way thru or around oak.
      Also, Rome wasn't built in a day. try 2 or 3 passes.
      Illegitimas non-carborundum

Comment

Use carbide cutters and take several passes before your finish cuts.

Comment

Also don't forget to "let the tool do the work" if your pushing the tool along to fast it may leave those burns as well.

Comment

I have another router question.....

What is the name of the bit that is used for raised panel? I want to make some custom wainscotting for our dining room, but I can't find the bits to save my life.

Comment

Burning wood....

As was mentioned, carbide, cutting depth, and speed are three main points, include spindle speed on that, too. The higher the speed, the better the cut. IT's a good bet to use 1/2" shanks as much asa possible, too.

Here's one site for router bits:
              Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Here's a site for the raised panel bits:
              Whether you're a seasoned artisan or a novice enthusiast, shop Woodcraft for expert advice, unbeatable prices, superior brands, and a woodworking experience like no other. Explore our vast selection of premium wood, tools, and accessories, meticulously curated to fuel your passion for creating timeless pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by DD716TED
                I have been experimenting using my router to put a rounted edge on strips of oak.. No matter what I do, I keep on getting burn marks on the oak... I am new at this and want to perfect my abilities before I continue on a project using good wood instead of scraps. What am I doing wrong?
                It sounds like you might be using a dull bit, or a cheap one.
                Use a good carbide router bit when cutting oak wood.

Comment

to the person wanting router bits go to www.rockler.com
                  they got everything

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  =