Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refacing help PLEEEAASSSEE!!

What a wonderous find, that when sanding what we thought were oak doors on our linen closet in bathroom, they're NOT! They are wood faced with particle board sides and back. And it's a dark particle board. We were just going to sand and refinish them, but this knocks us out, as we want to go with a light stain. Home Depot and Lowe's and other places want $90 a door!!! We have 4 doors and a drawer. I can go buy a whole new cabinet for that!! But all the ones we have looked at dont have the right door/drawer combonations. I had gotten some 1/2" birch plywood and was going to sand the edges round and smooth, just have a flat door, no routing, as I dont know how to do that. My husband does not like this idea. I then received my issue of Handyman magazine, and what do they have on the front? A kitchen playset made out of birch plywood. I think it looks neat, even though I would be staining it a different color than what was pictured. I cant find a linen closet that is our size (as it is inset in wall, and cannot go any bigger, nor do I want a smaller one), I cant pay $450 just for doors. The frame around doors is real wood, so I can refinish that, but I dont know how the two different woods with the same stain is going to look. I have looked for other types of wood, but none is the big sheets like I need. Our door sizes are (2) 12"X39.5" and (2) 12"x 32" with the drawer being 24"X 5.5". Maybe it is this odd size that makes it $$$ to order, I dont know. I think I am going to eat the $25 I paid for the birch and cut out the pieces and get the edges sanded and get em stained, and THEN if my husband doesnt like them, well, I will just have to see.....

can't you opt for a 5mm luan plywood or a blonde wall panelling? for the reface? you can glue this on with a contact cement - it smells when you put it on but as it dries the smell goes away.

Comment

I might can help

So do you want new doors and drawers made? I might be able to help you with this. let me talk to a friend of mine and maybe i can help you out. Do you have a contact number to be reached at. please e mail me at custom_wood_n_things@yahoo.com. I hope i can solve this solution for you.

Thanks
      Clint

Originally posted by briannarae View Post
      What a wonderous find, that when sanding what we thought were oak doors on our linen closet in bathroom, they're NOT! They are wood faced with particle board sides and back. And it's a dark particle board. We were just going to sand and refinish them, but this knocks us out, as we want to go with a light stain. Home Depot and Lowe's and other places want $90 a door!!! We have 4 doors and a drawer. I can go buy a whole new cabinet for that!! But all the ones we have looked at dont have the right door/drawer combonations. I had gotten some 1/2" birch plywood and was going to sand the edges round and smooth, just have a flat door, no routing, as I dont know how to do that. My husband does not like this idea. I then received my issue of Handyman magazine, and what do they have on the front? A kitchen playset made out of birch plywood. I think it looks neat, even though I would be staining it a different color than what was pictured. I cant find a linen closet that is our size (as it is inset in wall, and cannot go any bigger, nor do I want a smaller one), I cant pay $450 just for doors. The frame around doors is real wood, so I can refinish that, but I dont know how the two different woods with the same stain is going to look. I have looked for other types of wood, but none is the big sheets like I need. Our door sizes are (2) 12"X39.5" and (2) 12"x 32" with the drawer being 24"X 5.5". Maybe it is this odd size that makes it $$$ to order, I dont know. I think I am going to eat the $25 I paid for the birch and cut out the pieces and get the edges sanded and get em stained, and THEN if my husband doesnt like them, well, I will just have to see.....

Comment

Working...
      X
      =