Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tile counter top ?

We just built us a new kitchen counter we used a 3/4 plywood as the counter top that i treated with water seal we want to lay ceramic floor tile on it to make the counter top what im wondering is do i really have to use the cement board.

Also do you think the 4 in tiles will do better that the bigger ones the top is 2ft wide by 8ft long

4 inch tiles in my opinion would look better than the larger tiles. As far as flexing of the counter top, if your ply is supported so that it doesn't bow downward when pressure is applied - I don't see the need of a concrete board. I mean how many times are you gonna stand on the countertop? What you gonna use to "glue" the tiles down with -- quikset?

Comment

Ceramic Tile Countertop

Personally, I like the large floor tiles on the counter top. I have done many over the years, and they are beautiful and long lasting.

I have never used the cement backer board on a counter top. The cement backer is mostly necissary in very wet areas, such as a shower and tub surround. Since you used 3/4" plywood, you should be set.

There are different types of mastic though, so be sure the one you use is for wet areas. Or, you can use a good thinset mortar. It comes in gray or white. If you are going to use a light colored grout, go with the white. Otherwise the gray is just fine.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =