Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wood anchors

Hi all.

I'm attempting to fasten a steel plate to a piece of 1" thick wood (walnut), but I'd like to be able to easily remove and re-bolt the plate to the wood. I'm looking for some sort of anchor that I can permanently screw into the wood that then allows me to use machine screws to secure the plate to the wood.

Most of the anchors I find are for concrete, dry wall, etc. and it doesn't seem like any of them would work that well in wood. Can anyone direct me to a proper type of anchor for wood? What is it called, and where could I get them?

Thanks!
    Xavier

check with www dot rockler dot com. this place deals with nothing but wood. I believe they make brass inserts that screw into base wood with machine screw threads inside.

Comment

Check your local hardware store. Usually they have odds and ends of specialty hardware in small cardboard pull out drawers. You should be able to find some "TEE Nuts".

Tee nuts are made in steel and brass and come in a number of varieties.

Some just have a flat plate while others have a plate or circular head with sharp corners extending upwards.

To install the TEE nut you first drill a hole through your wood large enough for the tubular TEE section to fit in. The Tubular section is then inserted in the hole and in the case of the nuts with sharp protrusions you ligthly tap them in with a hammer to lock them in place.

You can then extend a common SAE thread machine screw or bolt from the front side and screw it into the female threads in the hollow tubular section of the TEE nut.

Tee Nuts are commonly used to attach table legs.

I use the tee nuts and the old Wood floor type watercloset bolts to attach table legs. The wood floor type closet bolts have a 1/4-20 SAE thread on one end and a Wood Screw Thread on the opposite end.

(See Attached Illustration.)
      Last edited by LazyPup; 08-26-2007, 11:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =