Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laminate counter top

Hi..I laminated a counter top yesterday, and while routing the edge with a laminate trimmer, I didn't keep the base plate firmly flat on the horizontal material, and took off some of the color on the vertical edge. In one spot, it was just that, taking off some of the color, but in another, I managed to gouge the vertical edge. Any tricks of the trade to fall back on. I guess I could remove the edge, and redo it, but that presents a whole range of problems with the horizontal surface. I looked on the Wilson Art page, but found no repair kits, etc. Any ideas? I'm sure I'm not the first, nor will be the last to do this. I was tired, and rushed the job, which is a lesson in itself. Thanks, Clifford

did you use a straight cutter for trimming the edge? did the bit have a ball bearing on its end? when you make a cut the bit should be down about 3/8 of an inch with the ball bearing drive. if you've installed the countertop and the edge look into a 37 degree or 45 degree ball bearing bit. once everything is glued up and dry use the 45 or 37 degree bit to gently round over the sharp corner.

Comment

Thanks. I did use a bit with a bearing on the end, and for the most part it did the job. thanks for the tip on the the other bit to make the edge softer. Clifford

Comment

what I do (or did) I have 21 feet of countertop laminate in my kitchen is put the top down with about 3/8" overhang on the front edge. I adjust my router with the straight ball bearing bit down so that about the middle of the cutter cuts the laminate. the bearing rides on the osb for the top. the edge I cut accurately so when that's glued up it's perfectly level with the top. after the contact cement has cured - 24 hrs give or take, I attack the edge with the ball bearing 45 degree cutter. I adjust it so that the bearing is about 1/2" below the countertop and just the very beginning of the bevel cutter touches the corner. this way I round off the sharp edge and don't take too much material off. I follow up with a folded sheet of 320 grit aluminum oxide paper.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =