Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop light wiring

I have ordered T5 light fixtures for my metal building which have universal voltage ballasts that will accept 110 to 277 volts. The guy I ordered the fixtures from said the lights would use less current if wired for 220V. Can someone explain this?

as the supply voltage goes up, the amperage draw reduces by one half. efficiency operating at a higher voltage goes up. so if you wired it for 120 volts at say 8 amps, wiring it at 277 the amps would be 4 amps. wire size would drop to #14

Comment

I already have the circuit wired as 110V, 20A with 12/2 WG. Would I have to change the wiring at the switch to make it 220V? I know I would have to either add a second 20A single pole breaker or replace with a double pole breaker.
      Last edited by StevenW; 02-18-2011, 01:50 PM.

Comment

no, the circuit will draw one half what it would at 120 volts. do you have a three phase service? that would be the only reason to have 277 volts for lighting. if you don't then stick with the 120 volt

Comment

other than efficiency there would be no other reason to use the 277 tap on the ballast. a three phase service 120/208-277 would be needed for 277. voltage of 220-240 wouldn't save you anything. you'd actually measure 277 volts to the neutral with a meter.

Comment

I don't have a 3-phase service. I'm looking for max efficiency and if using 220V would be any more efficient than 110V I would do it.

Comment

I was thinking the electronic ballast would auto-detect the incoming voltage and operate at anything between 110 and 277V.

Comment

if that's the case try it! the wiring would be off a two pole breaker.

Comment

Would the light switch wiring be the same as 110V, just make the neutral a hot?

Comment

switch wiring would be the same as a 120 circuit. BUT you've opened up a new "ball of wax." the switch has to be 277 volt rated for a tungsten load.

Comment

Well my light fixtures were finally delivered and I hung and wired them yesterday. Initially they were on 120V, but today I added another breaker and moved the neutral and marked it appropriately. Now the lights are running on 240V. Yes, the electronic ballast auto-detected the input voltage and my light switches were HD switches from Lowes that are good to 277V.

If nothing else, it's different. Thanks HayZee518!

I was going to post pictures but..."You are only allowed to post URLs to other sites after you have made 15 posts or more."

Comment

Here you go...

Comment

Ligthting...

Nice job! I learned something, too. Did not know new lights could be driven from either voltage and self accomodate...thanks!

Comment

Well it would depend on the ballast. Here is the spec sheet for the ballast used in my lights...http://www.ace-ballast.com/articles/...-A2_54T5XS.pdf

Comment

Look it all the "fun" toys!

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =