Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone respond to my thread? It looks as if HayZee518 may have given up trying to solve this one (as he is no longer responding), or is not available to assist.

I provided a VERY detailed description of the wiring in one of my prior respsonses. I'm hoping that someone on this forum will have the skills and persistance to help me resolve this problem.

Thanks,
    Jet

Comment

HayZee518,

Your last 3 post reference another thread. Unfortunately the user "Jomo" hijacked my thread to ask a related question to my issue rather than starting a new thread. So I didn't provide any pictures in my post. But I am still looking for some follow up on my last several post on my thread.

Thanks,
      Jet

Comment

yeah, I got confused - there were two other posts that referenced a leviton 5225 combo switch which has nothing to do with your problem. I'm sorry.

Comment

No problem...but I am looking forward to your response to my questions when you get a chance.

jet

Comment

ok, your house is built on a slab therefore your wiring is all on the same level and concealed. you'll need to identify all the circuits in your house, one by one. use one of those plug in testers, one that shows correct, reversed polarity and reversed ground. test each circuit to see what it feeds and mark it down. through the process of elimination we'll narrow it down to what feeds your problem area. If you have a cheap v-o-m from radio shack it will help identify the wires that feed your problem area[s]

Comment

would it help to chat back n forth using yahoo messenger? my handle there is: tjmierzwa35@yahoo.com. This way it'll save time.

Comment

HayZee518,

Yes I think chatting would help quite a bit. I don't typically chat but is your chat address the same as your email address?

In the meantime regarding your last post, I have a plug in tester but I'm not quite sure how that will help see what feeds what. Maybe something we should chat about.

Jet

Comment

Disposal

Here is the rewired two gang box for your disposal. It uses the same two wire that you have for the disposal with a change in the disposal's receptacle box

Comment

Hi Guys, sorry, I strarted answering this post and got really busy, I did try to post once and got logged off before my reply went thru and lost my whole post and did not have time to reply again. It just happened again, this site is getting on my nerves, hopefully I can get the posted before it kicks me off again.

Anyway, back to my original post, what I was trying to have you do, was just pull the GFI loose and leave the wires attached, the check to see if you had power on both the line side and the load side, the line side is where the power comes in, if you have power there, and not on the load side the GFI is either triped or is bad and needs to be replaced.

Check that out and let me know, Have to go but will explain more later.

Charlie O

Comment

Charlie0, thanks for hanging with it. After weeks of trying lots of things I had a break through last night. I'm 99% of the way to resolving the issue but I have one little (but important) thing left. So I now have power flowing to all receptacles. The only thing that isn't working is the garbage disposal despite the fact that the Garbage Disposal switch is getting power (verified with voltage tester) and the receptacle that it plugs into is getting power as well. I verified that the Garbage Disposal works by plugging it into a different socket via an extention cord. If I can get the Garbage disposal working I'll have it all fixed --- after 6 weeks.

Post #13 describes the wiring of each of the outlets.

By the way I have to give you a lot of credit because ultimately in your one post that you did make you identified that the two side by switches were not on the same circuit (and they were not) and the GFI was likely the problem. It turned out to be one of the backstab connections to the GFI wasn't making a good connection.

So now I'm down to this last issue with the Garbage Disposal switch. Any thoughts?
                      Thanks,
                      Jet

Comment

Okay question on the garbage disposal.
                        First place to start is with the switch, you need to remove the switch on the wall leaving the wires intact and with the switch off, do you have 2 black wires going to the switch or a black and a white?
                        You should have power to one of the screws. When you turn the switch on then you should have power to both screws. If that is the case, then the switch is good.
                        Now with the switch off check the outlet for the disposal and see if you have power coming into it, if you have a plug-in tester that will work, if not take drop light or lamp ( test in another outlet to make sure it works) and plug it in and turn to switch on, and see if the light comes on.
                        If it comes on then turn the switch off and plug in the disposal and try it.
                        If the disposal does not work, then you possibly have a bad plug on the disposal, or a bad outlet where the two are just not making good contact, but when you use the extention cord it makes better contact.
                        Try these things an dlet me know
                        Charlie O

Comment

Charlie the problem has been solved. I spent near 6 hours in yahoo chat with the OP. Everything's fixed now.

Comment

Thanks for the message, Glad to see you help them, your one of the Good Guys for spending that much time on this one prodject.

Comment

CharlieO (& HayZee518), thanks to both of you for your assistance in resolving this issue. As HayZee518 said we were eventually able to resolve the problem. After chasing this issue for 6 weeks I had to take the weekend off from the computer and the forum.

But I did want to add one last post here to let everyone know that it is now closed and to thank everyone (you and especially HayZee518) for helping me along the way.

It turned out there were two issues. The first was a connection issue (backstab) for GFI. The connection must have come loose over time. The second issue was either a bad receptacle or bad connections in the garbage disposal socket. These two issues made it very difficult to trouble shoot but I have to give you credit as I think you identified these as two potential causes very early on. The trick was finding it. There were many goose chases along the way but with Tom's help we finally got there. I would probably have given up if it weren't for Tom's ongoing involvement. So again a big THANKS to HayZee518 for hanging in their with me.

Signing out for now.....

Comment

You are welcome Glad you got them resolved

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                =