Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie trying to add 5th phone jack

I am trying to connect a 5th phone jack off the media panel where the cable modem comes in the house. There is only one phone line for the house and cable TV service is not activated.

Currently I have 4 CAT5 cables connected to a Leviton PWR 58141 phone panel. They are used for phone service to various rooms. Right off the panel itself, I tested adding another phone wire to the next open slot on the panel. I am using the blue/white and blue wires to find a dial tone, but there isn't one for the new wire.

Am I missing something here? There seems to be slots left on the panel for 5 more phone jacks. Does the cable modem need to be programmed to allow for more phone outlets in the house?

any phone line uses the "tip and ring" terminals which are the red and green. in any RJ-11 plug or receptacle the two center wires are the tip and ring. if you want to add another like to a full tap center, pick up a two phone splitter. what you'll have is a single rj-11 plug with two rj-11 receptacles/ what you could do is get a punch down four terminal block for as many line you want and connect the main pair to the center terminals and punch in your other lines.

Comment

Looks like you have Leviton Structured Wiring, which is different than the more common Bell System POTs stuff. I suggest you just Google Leviton PWA 58141 for info on what you are trying to do. You may have to add some jumpers to your system board to activate additional lines.
      Alan

Comment

The Leviton terminal block thats already there has room for 10 lines and I am only using 4 plus one for the line from the cable modem.

Is there another module needed to activate more of the 10 endpoints already on the panel?

Comment

Sorry, but I don't know any more about this system than you do. Here's a Leviton forum link that might help you.
          communities dot leviton dot com/message/2914#2914

Comment

if the terminal block is of the punch down variety then it shouldn't be a problem to install a set of jumpers to activate a new block of punch down circuits. since you are only using two wires, the other two in a phone cable is for ground or a party line connection.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =