Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EIFSpector View Post
    Are you saying that the motor is bigger? Or the housing is bigger? It is so much easier to change a motor than the whole thing. Perhaps it make sense to check. The motors are usually interchangable.

If not, the easiest thing would be to bite the bullet, open the wall and change out the whole thing.
    I think he said this was
    a ceiling fan not a wall fan. Its an old style so he wants to change it out.
    When this happened to me a while back, I ordered a motor in 3 times and had to cut bolts off, and use spacers on the other side of the motor. I wish i would have put a new fan in. Mine was a heater,lite, and fan. Paul

Comment

Originally posted by ebonyknight View Post
      It's difficult to describe (since I don't know what it's called, you probably do). It's plastic with metal rings every 2 or 3 inches. Kinda collapsible. They guy suggested I put screws in, but I would only be able to do that on the connector going to the metal adapter. The 'duct' is plastic, so if I were to screw it, it would tear the duct (eventually).
      That duct is called insulated flex duct. I is insulated right?
      Your new fan does not have a heater? If it does you can't use that duct.
      Is it duct ed to the out side? Paul

Comment

I doubt it. It is builders grade. It looks thin. I just got a ventilator with a light. Didn't see a need for a heater. Guess that was a good call.

Comment

Originally posted by ebonyknight View Post
          I doubt it. It is builders grade. It looks thin. I just got a ventilator with a light. Didn't see a need for a heater. Guess that was a good call.
          Sounds like you are on the right track. I am going on a vacation for a week
          so i hope i helped you a little Paul

Comment

That was the hardest DIY yet for me. Unfortunately, I made it harder on myself, than was necessary. Putting it in from the room was definitely more difficult, but won't be as bad when I do the others from this experience.

I got so frustrated I stopped for the night. I was going to just have lowes come in and finish it. The problem was mounting it to the joist. It is located right where the mesh connecting several joists came together. I kept trying to screw through it and got frustrated.

Came back today and finished it. I just decided to stop making it hard and went up to the attic, wired it up (twice) and just nailed it in place. I then made sure it was air tight with the bathroom with the silver tape. I must say, it looked quite professional before I put the vent on.

I ended up wiring it twice because I didn't count on the wiring not reaching and stretched it. I tested the fan the first time and it ran. When I finally secured it and tested it, the fan wouldnt' run. DAMN! Went back up there and rewired it properly and it still wouldn't work. I was about to lose it and then realized the fan plug, fell out. :doh:

Closed it up and boom. I don't have a three light switch hookup so I just connected both to the same hot wire. So they both come on when I flip the switch.

The other two arent very accessible from the attic, so I will have to reconsider my methods and install them from the bathroom. Having this experience, I think I can do it.

Thanks.
            Last edited by ebonyknight; 08-24-2011, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =