Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outlet with no ground

How do I ground two existing outlets that are six feet apart in a finished basement? They are mounted on the exterior of the walls with one white, one black, and one copper in each of the outlet boxes. The ground (copper) is connected to the screw in the box but isn't active according to the circuit tester.

Trace back the circuit to the panel and connect the ground there.
    If that's not possible, ground them to a nearby metal cold water pipe, or drive a grounding rod into the earth and ground them to it with a pipe clamp.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
    <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

quote:Originally posted by irregularjoe

Trace back the circuit to the panel and connect the ground there.
      If that's not possible, ground them to a nearby metal cold water pipe, or drive a grounding rod into the earth and ground them to it with a pipe clamp.

anton heard

Comment

Great! There is a cold water pipe 3 feet away from the outlet. I'll try it and retest.

anton heard

Comment

Anton,

Connecting to a water pipe works great as long as it is not interrupted by a plastic sleeve, water softner or other unit that is non-conductive. If you have something like this on your water supply then you can clamp a cable to the pipe on either side of the interruption and that will maintain the good ground.

Good luck, Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

"ground them to a nearby metal cold water pipe"
            the operative word being metal.

quote:Originally posted by Jimmer

Anton,

Connecting to a water pipe works great as long as it is not interrupted by a plastic sleeve, water softner or other unit that is non-conductive. If you have something like this on your water supply then you can clamp a cable to the pipe on either side of the interruption and that will maintain the good ground.

Good luck, Jim

<i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
            X
            =