Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help wiring hallway (lights & 3-ways)

I am having one heck of a time with my current project...our stairway/hall. I have installed 1 ceiling light, 2 wall sconces and 2 3-way swicthes (top & bottom of stairs). Since this is on the second floor, all of the wiring is in the attic. I currently have the two sconces connected in a junction box, wired to another junction box for the ceiling light and 1st switch. Power also comes into this box. I am getting power from an existing junction box also in the attic. The first time I wired everything up, all of the lights worked. When I tried the switch, the breaker tripped. I have since tried 2 other junction boxes for power and the breaker immediately trips. I have checked my wiring, connections and grounds but still get nowhere. I have seen diagrams showing how to wire one light (power here) and two 3-way switches. I followed these with the excetipon of adding the sconces in. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

quote:Originally posted by starbellie

I am having one heck of a time with my current project...our stairway/hall. I have installed 1 ceiling light, 2 wall sconces and 2 3-way swicthes (top & bottom of stairs). Since this is on the second floor, all of the wiring is in the attic. I currently have the two sconces connected in a junction box, wired to another junction box for the ceiling light and 1st switch. Power also comes into this box. I am getting power from an existing junction box also in the attic. The first time I wired everything up, all of the lights worked. When I tried the switch, the breaker tripped. I have since tried 2 other junction boxes for power and the breaker immediately trips. I have checked my wiring, connections and grounds but still get nowhere. I have seen diagrams showing how to wire one light (power here) and two 3-way switches. I followed these with the excetipon of adding the sconces in. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Comment

evan,

Welcome to the forum. Your problem is probably that the power normally is shown coming into one of the switches and the switched power comes out of the other one. Check your diagrams again. Or check out this one...

Hope this helps.
      Jim

'Just a handyman trying to help'
      'Just a handyman trying to help'

Comment

Working...
      X
      =