Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New basement outlets: Hire a contractor or d-i-y?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New basement outlets: Hire a contractor or d-i-y?

Hi all,
    I have an unfinished full basement. I am trying to semi-finish it. One main requirement is that there is only one power outlet. I want to add atleast 3 or 4. There are 4 lamps with chord-string switches on the ceiling. My initial plan was to feed off of each of those 4 lamps and run conduits to the wall. I call myself handy and have done some minor home-imp work. But this one I am not sure if it'll be OK to do it myself or if I shud hire a contractor. Any ideas?
    Also what would be some ballpark amount a contractor may charge for such a job?
    Thx in advance
    Shyam

I need to ask some questions first. When you say semi-finish, Are you planning on building walls and putting up drywall or are you just wanting outlets on the cement walls for various things like a TV, tools, etc.? Have you ever worked with electrical wiring in any capacity?

quote:Originally posted by kshyams

Hi all,
    I have an unfinished full basement. I am trying to semi-finish it. One main requirement is that there is only one power outlet. I want to add atleast 3 or 4. There are 4 lamps with chord-string switches on the ceiling. My initial plan was to feed off of each of those 4 lamps and run conduits to the wall. I call myself handy and have done some minor home-imp work. But this one I am not sure if it'll be OK to do it myself or if I shud hire a contractor. Any ideas?
    Also what would be some ballpark amount a contractor may charge for such a job?
    Thx in advance
    Shyam

Comment

I should have covered that part! Sorry. I meant no drywalls just the concrete wall and I would probably wash the floor and seal it and then roll a carpet end-to-end.
      I have done some basic wiring stuff like splicing and moving an outlet. but this one requires conduit and feed off a lamp source.
      Thx

SK

Comment

Do yourself a favor and hire someone who knows the ropes.
        If you want, watch them do the work and ask questions along the way.
        This way you get the job done without your house burning down, and you get an education for your next electrical project.
        People do this to me sometimes. Altough from my perpsective as a contractor it's a little bit annoying ( the FREE learning experience on my time) as a homeowner I'd recommend it.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

ONLY A SPARKY

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!

BUT IT TAKES ONE TO CATCH IT!!!!

Comment

There's no reason you should not do the job. But as long as you might, do a thorough job. Use the existing wiring for one branch, say for any outlets. Run another from the panel for the lights and maybe one more outlet branch. I practised what I preach. I finished my basement and electrically I still could have done more, given the expanding addition of electronics and gadgets. I have three branches plus a line for space heaters. Don't forget telephone wiring and cabling for TV. I added TV cabling long after finishing, not anticipating what the future promised. You'd be well advised to consider what may come on later.

Comment

Working...
            X
            =