Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flourescent Security Light Failures???

I have a Flourescent Security Light on my garage (exactly like the one shown in the attachment) that has failed 3 times in 3 years... Each time I replaced it with a new unit as the warranty is 1 year only... The bulbs are still good (tried in another like fixture) so it must either be the light senser or circuit board.. Are these lights prone to failure or has anyone else experienced the same problem with these light fixtures??

how do you have the fixture connected? is there power going to the fixture all the time or do you have it on a switch? security lights, motion sensors, infrared sensors need a continuous supply of 120 volts, unswitched. if you have it on a switch, each time you turn it on there is a surge to the power supply which weakens the circuit eventually failing. the light goes through a sef test, then settles down into operation mode.

Comment

Power Source

The fixture is on a light switch (no idea why it was installed that way) but the switch is seldom turned on / off.. not to say someone else doesn't flip the switch several times trying to figure out what it is for.. The fixture will be replaced and the switch eliminated from the circuit.. Hopefully this will cure the problem.. It seems strange that the fixture fails before the bulb... contrary to past beliefs, but now we have the spare bulbs.... Thanks

Comment

then that in itself seems to be the root of the problem. photocells, motion detectors, anything with an electronic control circuit needs a constant 120 volt source. these devices have a red wire which is its switch. a regular toggle switch is installed between the red wire and a load. this is the only way it would work. whatever state the electronics is in, either energize the load or de- energize the load, the external switch will allow or inhibit the power getting to the load.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =