Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220/110 circuit?

I'll be wring in a 220 line in the barn for an occasional use motor. Would it be okay to pick off one leg for 110 outlet near by? Just to have something that I 'might' use on that side of the barn?

I take it you will be feeding the 240 circuit with a double pole breaker, won't you? I'm assuming a 20 amp or less load, so the wire size would be 12 gauge. I would rather see another single pole breaker for that extra outlet because normally the motor load would be balanced and the wire you would use wouldn't have a neutral leg. Say for instance your motor load was 18 amps, if you have an outlet connected to one half the 2 pole breaker and ITS load was say, six amps, theoretically you would blow the breaker.

Comment

240/120....

You are correct, HayZee. I will be using 12/4 and a 20A double pole breaker. The motor this will be driving is for the barn elevator. Rarely gets used. Only when I want something to/from one of the lofts. That's why I thought it might be okay to draw off one leg for a 120 in the area. It's not an area that sees a lot of use, but would like one there for the occasional effort, maybe a light.... Was wondering if that's a no-code thing or a dangerous thing to do.....

Comment

why go through the expense of 12/4? 12/2 with a ground would be sufficient. Like I said there would only be an equipment ground, no neutral. you want to piggyback an outlet, run a 12/2 to the outlet, connect the white to the neutral bus. take a pigtail and splice it to one leg of the elevator motor, then to the outlet black wire and put a wirenut on it. take the end of the pigtail and put it on one breaker leg and the other motor lead to the other side of the two pole.

Comment

240/110 circuit...

I see now. Thanks, HayZee.....

Comment

Working...
          X
          =