Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be a name plate on these motors with amps, volts etc stamped on it. I would look for that first, cause they may pull more than 10 amps and that may be what scrambled his meter.

Comment

What's the motor draw in amps hafta do with the heaters?

Comment

Looks like this meter will do the job???
        Digital Clamp Meter
        Mark
        Owner of 1 house (3200 SQ.FT., 4 car garage)
        Owner of 3 rental houses (partner with the bank.)

Comment

the waste oil heater he's fooling with uses a source of compressed air to atomize the oil. the waste oil goes through a pre-heater to make it flow easier. the burner is a standard oil burner with a fan and gear pump and 60 degree fuel nozzle. the nozzle doesn't use a bronze filter element because the heater pumps and burns waste oil into a heat exchanger. the air surrounding the heat exchanger is blown into the room by a fan.

Comment

DuneMe I already pointed that out to Bob in Harbor Freight. Are you repeating me?
            Don't you read the postings?

Comment

Ah... heaters. I must have missed that. I thought he was testing motors of some sort. There is a possibility that these heaters might pull more than a small motor. Finding a data plate for them might be a bit tougher than it would be on a motor.

Comment

If the pre-heater is a tubular heater, the shell is called INCALLOY which an alloy of nickel and copper. with repeated heating the stamped value on the heater wears off then all that's left is to take an amp reading with a clamp around and calculate the wattage with voltage.

Comment

If we know how big the motor (for the compressor) is, we should get an idea of Anp. draw.
                  Amp Draw of Electric Motors
                  (Please keep in mind that every one of these I've used is low, it doesn't account for control Amp/draw. etc. (obviously.))
                  I would just use it for a Guide.
                  You shouldn't use a 20amp breaker for a 1 1/2hp motor runnning 120V (the motor alone is rated at 20amps, take in control amps etc. and I'm sure you'll be over.
                  Mark

Comment

Hey You! What in Holy Heck does the motor have to do with the oil pre-heater????????? Not a dam thing! Read the posting. Bob is looking for the wattage of the pre-heater! NOT THE MOTOR. And further, there is NO compressor on the heater!

Comment

Yes, well kinda. You said Harbor Frieght (which is good for him $$$.) I'm just pointing out a meter (being more specific - he probably doesn't need it but, it's there.)
                      Mark

Comment

Sorry, I thought he was looking for the amp draw of the atomizing compressor?

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
                        Hey You! What in Holy Heck does the motor have to do with the oil pre-heater????????? Not a dam thing! Read the posting. Bob is looking for the wattage of the pre-heater! NOT THE MOTOR. And further, there is NO compressor on the heater!
                        Mark

Comment

Heater watts....

You're absolutely correct, HayZee. I am looking for the amps draw to calculate the wattage on the two heaters (one for the air pre-heat and the other for the oil pre-heat). The only motor on this is for the squirrel cage blower fan and that has a plate I can read from.

Comment

My appologies bud. Sorry if I created any confusion.
                            Mark

Comment

Working...
                            X
                            =