Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GFCI Plug not working.

Hello new to these forums, hope you can help.

I have a GFCI plug where the reset button doesn't work. I pulled it out and replaced it with another GFCI plug thinking maybe the outlet was bad. The new one does the same thing. I noticed that this plug was in a serial so I went around and found that another plug in my garage doesn't work and there was a plug outside the house that doesn't work. The plug outside was in the elements, the door that protected it was open and I'm pretty sure water or something got in. So I tried another theory of just disconnection the rest of the plugs by unhooking the "load" part of the outlet on the GFCI plug. However the GFCI plug is still having the same issue, so I'm kind of torn on what to do now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

what do you mean by this [quote: I noticed that this plug was in a serial ] ?
    check your polarity on the outlets. the HOT or black goes to the brass or yellow screw, the neutral or white goes to the nickel colored screw. leave any downstream wires off for now. restore power and try the test-reset. get back to me. we'll do this one step at a time.

Comment

[quote: what do you mean by this [quote: I noticed that this plug was in a serial ] ]?

I meant there are other plugs in that circuit. Might have used the wrong word. On the back of the plug it says "white" on one said and "black" on the other. I pretty much just followed how the old plug was and transferred it over.

The "load" wires (black and white) are the wires that go to the other outlets right? I told those off and still didn't get it to work.

Comment

do you have access to a multi-meter? remove the top wires and see if you have a voltage between the black and white wires. if yes, turn off the power and connect black t brass, and white to nickel screws. IF no power then go backwards and see where the wire comes from. could be a bad splice job somewhere. check for open breakers at the panelbox. some breakers like a GE move to mid position of the handle. phyisically move the handle to all the way off and then back on. some square D breakers show pink or red when they trip.

Comment

Working...
        X
        =