Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing in-wall wires

Hello All,

Is there any method/device/trick that I can use to trace in wall electrical wires? I posted a previous question with my problem of two outlets that have no power. I have tried all of the suggestions to fix is as well as suggestions for other simlar problems that other members posted. No luck.

I think the problem is with what ever receptacle or light ficture is upstream from the two faulty outlets. The problem is that when we moved into the house, the outlets didn't work, so I have no idea what circuit they are on. THus, I don't have any idea where to look for the downstream device.

What I would like to do is trace the wire up the wall from the faulty outlet and hopefully get an idea of where it goes.

Does this sound do-able? If so, how should I go about it?

Thanks,
    Jeff

1. Where are these outlets located?
    2. Check all outlets that surround these and make sure there isn't a wire that has come loose or broke.
    3. Go to home depot and buy a device called LAN Tracker (tracer) for $40. (it is what I use and I do elec. work, all other toners run $90+). Turn off the power to the house when using this. POWER will destroy it. Just follow the info given with it (may be start with wires you know how they go to get used to using it like light switches)

Comment

Working...
    X
    =