Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing a Standby Genreator and will some circuits be wasted?

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing a Standby Genreator and will some circuits be wasted?

I have narrowed this thing down to 2 Generac units (NG): Core series 6kw (5837) and the Guardian 7k(5870).

I have a spread sheet I created to help me choose:

Standby Generator Comparison Natural Gas,Core 5837,Guardian 5870,Essential circuits watts,6kw,7kw transfer switch Dimension,23x15,29x13 generator dimensions,30x24x32 high,25x48x29high circuits,8,10 15A-120,5,3,frig,range(ng), ADT power, 20A-120,1,3,MW, furnace (ng), family room circuits 20A-240,0,1

My question(s)"

1. my a/c is on a 30A breaker. It is a larger 2-bay breaker in my 100watt panel. Can I assume this is 240?

2. If I choose the larger 5870 over the smaller footprint core, which has an additional 20A-240, should I choose the smaller unit so the 20A-240 doesn't go un-used?

3. Will either unit work for my house to supply some of these circuits or will the smaller core be too small based on the electrical capacity of the unit?

core:
    5870:

thanks in advance
    It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

standby generator(s)

the 6kw unit will produce 25 amps to the load with occasional peaks. the 7kw unit will produce 29.16 amps at its top end. what you refer to a double bay 30 - I guess you mean a 2 pole breaker for the a/c. the breaker will either have an internal common trip [one handle] or two handles with a tie-bar in between, even though the breakers are physically riveted together.
    Look at the current draw on the a/c nameplate for running amps. if yours has, let's say a fla of 22 amps, then that leaves 3 amps for incidental loads [total 25 amps] or 7.16 for incidental loads on the 7kw unit. mind you, as voltage goes down [240 to 120] your load amps increases by 2X.

Comment

In my experience the Guardian would be a better bet solely due to it's reputation . Not to mention for lareger uses it would be a better idea to go for something a bit on the heavier end like a whole house standby generator. We purchase this generac portable generator and it runs a lot of our smaller needs but to deal with in home luxuries a larger unite would be best.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =