Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• part of the circuit is dead

I recently tried to install a light fixture where the ceiling fan used to be. Ceiling box has 2 blacks, 2 whites, and 1 red. Fixture has 2 blacks and 2 whites. I now have it wired so that white goes to white and black to black, and red is capped off. Now only one of the two bulbs in the fixture lights, and two of the three outlets in the room no longer work.

Here is the information you really need: I wired the light incorrectly the first time. When I flipped the circuit on and switched on the light, there was a small pop in the ceiling box (but the breaker wasn't tripped).

What did I do and how do I fix it? The circuit is off while I figure this out. . .

Arched it! (Hot/Neutral crossed) How old is the house? Also how many wires (colors) are at the switch(s)?

Comment

The house was built in 1965, and there has been no systemtic rewiring. I haven't been into this particular switch yet, but my memory from other switches I have replaced is that there is nothing more colorful than black and white. No aluminum wiring.

Can I fix this, or do I have to call in a professional?

Comment

You may be able to fix it, but first you need to state what wires are in the switch box and how they are connected to the switch. You also need to separate the wires at the ceiling box, turn on the breaker and check,using a voltage meter or neon bulb tester, for which wire is supplying power to the light fixture. Measure from each wire to ground to see which one gives you 120volts.

Comment

Okay - I will check the wires at the switch when I go home at the end of the day. In the meantime, would it be dangerous to leave the circuit on if I have the ceiling fixture removed?

Comment

I wouldn't leave the wires loose for long with the power on. You need to put wire nuts over the wires before turning the breaker back on without a light attached if you're gonna be awhile getting back to it.

Comment

Here is how the switch is wired:

The box in the wall has one side labeled "N," with a black, a white, and a bare copper wire. The other side, labeled "T" has a black, a white, a red, and a bare copper.

The two white wires are twisted together and capped off. The two blacks go into one terminal on the switch, the red goes to the other terminal on the switch. The two coppers are twisted together and tucked in the back of the box.

THANK YOU for your help.

Comment

OK, the red wire connected to your switch controls your light fixture. The black wire comming into your switch box on the "N" side is your power feed HOT wire. The other black wire comming in on the "T" side is your onward power that feeds your outlets. So, connect your wires in the ceiling box per the following:

1. The 2 black wires in your ceiling box should be joined by a wire nut. (total 2 wires in wire nut)

2. The 2 black wires of your light fixture should be joined with the red wire in your ceiling box using a wire nut (total 3 wires in wire nut)

3. The 2 white wires of your light fixture should be joined with the 2 white wires in your ceiling box using a wire nut (total 4 wires in wire nut)

4. The ground wire of your light fixture should be joined with the 2 ground wires in your ceiling box using a wire nut (total 3 wires in wire nut)

Here is a link that will give you a wiring diagram of what I just explained, use this as a reference: http://www.danswiringpage.com/diagrams/sps_ptl.jpg

Now, as for the poping you heard when you connected it wrong the first time, I'm not sure what it was, could of blown one of your light bulbs in the light fixture, or could of damaged the light socket in that fixture. You'll have to troubleshoot that after we see if this works.

One tip, if the wires on the light fixture are stranded wires, then in order to get a good tight connection using the wire nut you need to hold the stripped ends of the stranded wires and the solid wires together, then adjust the wires in your hand so that the stranded wires are about 1/8" longer than the solid wire. Now with the stranded wires slightly leading the solid wire attach your wire nut over the top of them and screw it on clockwise.

Let me know how it all turns out. Good Luck.

quote:Originally posted by Pat41

Here is how the switch is wired:

The box in the wall has one side labeled "N," with a black, a white, and a bare copper wire. The other side, labeled "T" has a black, a white, a red, and a bare copper.

The two white wires are twisted together and capped off. The two blacks go into one terminal on the switch, the red goes to the other terminal on the switch. The two coppers are twisted together and tucked in the back of the box.

THANK YOU for your help.

Comment

Yee haw! It worked. The lights work and the outlets work, so it appears I did not fry anything. Only remaining piece is that the light isn't grounded. There are no ground wires in the ceiling box (that was the wall box that had those). I do have a green wire from something else. Do I attach it to a screw in the ceiling box and the ground screw on the bracket-type piece (came with the light fixture, a bent strip that attaches to the open side of the ceiling box)?

Comment

I don't understand why the ground wires are not in the ceiling box, the cables in the switch box are the same cables in the ceiling and therefore should have a ground wire. You can attach a ground wire to the ceiling box and then to the bracket for your light fixture, but first you need to verify that the ceiling box is even grounded. I would doubt it is if Romex cable is being used, If BX cable is being used then you can test from the ceiling box to your hot wire, if you read 120 volts with a volt meter then the box is grounded.

Congrads on your fix

Comment

Don't congratulate me - you did it! Thank you for sticking with me until it was resolved.

Comment

You're welcome

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        =