Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pls Help with adding 220V outlet for hot tub

Hi,
    I've just purchased a new hot tub. Although my house was pre-wired for a hot tub, I've found out they only wired with #8 wire and a 30A breaker. My tub needs 50A to work well.

My current idea is to just remove the existing 30A breaker from my service panel. I'll cap off the existing wires and just leave them in the wall. That will allow me to use that space for a new 50A (or 60A) braker. I then plan to run new wire ~13' along my garage wall and into my crawlspace. Then it will run ~40ft to the rear of my house. It'll then exit the house and go up 6' to a "spa box" with a GFCI and a disconnect.

Here's my questions:
    1 - Should I go ahead and get #4 wire instead of #6? My tub will work with 50A but will allow all jets and heater on only with 60A. Maybe #4 isn't a bad idea?

2 - I realize I'll need conduit along my garage wall. I've been told that it is against code to install romex within conduit and that if I want to use conduit then I need to use individual cables instead. Is this true? If so, what gauge bare wire do I need? Must it be #4 as well? The 6/3 romex seemed to have pretty small bare wire compared to the other 3 main wires.

3 - In my crawlspace, do I need to use conduit? I'm currently thinking I'll go ahead and use 1" PVC conduit or 1" flex-metal conduit in there just to be safe.

4 - Once the elec gets outside from the crawlspace I plan to use the water-tight flex metal conduit. I'll put in a box where it first exits the house and then run the conduit up the wall a couple feet to the spa box. Then, I'll use the same water-tight flex-metal conduit for the 9' run over to the hot tub.

Do these things sound right? Any suggestion or other recommendations? If it matters, I'm in King County in WA state.

Thanks in advance!

Sendero, First off is the existing service for the hot tub where it needs to be? If so why not attach a string to the existing wiring and pull those wires out. attach the larger guage wire to the string and the existing wiring and pull everything back through. That way you have your dedicated wiring for the hot tub and if you want to add lighting or a bar you will have that wire as well. (assuming you have room in your breaker panel for more breakers). That way ypu do not need to run extra conduit.

Comment

I thought about that but I do not think the existing holes for the current wire will be large enough to accomodate #6 or #4 wires. Plus, I'd be afraid of the wire getting caught up along the way and then being stuck with it.

quote:Originally posted by dev 65

Sendero, First off is the existing service for the hot tub where it needs to be? If so why not attach a string to the existing wiring and pull those wires out. attach the larger guage wire to the string and the existing wiring and pull everything back through. That way you have your dedicated wiring for the hot tub and if you want to add lighting or a bar you will have that wire as well. (assuming you have room in your breaker panel for more breakers). That way ypu do not need to run extra conduit.

Comment

If you are going through all the trouble, install the 60 amp circuit if that's what the spa works best on. Don't even consider anything less than 50 amps.
        Spas usually are 220/110 volts. This means you need a neutral in the mix. ie: 6-3 for 50 amp......4-3 for 60 amp. PLUS ground. (4 conductors in all). But check with the spa manufacturer. I've seen spas that only require straight 220 volts too.

Yes, you need to use individual strands inside conduit. You can run Romex inside the attic, although 4-3 might be hard to find.

You can usually use one size smaller for the ground wire.

A word of advice: use large enough conduit. #6 wire is difficult to pull and #4 is a lot harder. Three strands of #6 and one strand of #8 will be snug in a 3/4 pipe.....If you are using #4 wire, use 1 inch pipe.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
        <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

quote:Originally posted by sendero

I thought about that but I do not think the existing holes for the current wire will be large enough to accomodate #6 or #4 wires. Plus, I'd be afraid of the wire getting caught up along the way and then being stuck with it.

quote:Originally posted by dev 65

Oh, and forget about trying to pull # 4 or #6 through your old conduit. It's not going to happen.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

Working...
          X
          =