Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning new circuit in remodel

I am looking to re-finish a basement and trying to plan wiring. I intend to use 12-2 with 20 Amp breakers for just the outlets, but want to know a good way to plan how many outlets per run. Lighting is all on separate breakers. Also how much is too much for 200Amp service coming into the house?

I will be installing quite a few of them as code requires one for every 6' and I have large open space. I also was planning on using dedicated breakers for entertainment system etc. No other 'appliances' will be used other than vacuums and lights.

No plumbing near anything so GFCI should not be a concern. Any ideas or even an RTFM with a link would be helpful! I have not been able to find local codes online without ordering...Live in Mo.

First thing you need to do is buy the Black & Decker book on Home wireing. It will guide you in the majority of your project and is a great resource to have. You also need to obtain a permit from your local inspectors, they will want to inspect all homeowner wiring. This is a good idea cause it's possible that your insurance company would not cover any damage due to fire if a permit was not pulled.

In planning your circuits you'll need to map them out on some graph paper. Draw out your room dimensions and then draw out your individual circuits onto the paper, This will also serve as a wireing guide for you.

Receptacle outlets are not spaced every 6 ft. They are actually spaced every 12 ft. The code reads that any appliance with a 6 ft cord should be able to reach a receptacle anywhere along the wall. A wall that is 2 ft wide also requires a receptacle outlet. There is also no code specifing how many outlets on each circuit, but a rule of thumb is 8-10. If you're running dedicated circuits for your entertainment center than you should be able to install an additional 2-20 amp circuits depending upon the square footage you're finishing.

Having a 200 amp service should not be a problem with this additional load if you have the spaces available in your main panel. I'm including alot of links for you to read. Some will cover code requirements for specific towns, your's may vary slightly but it will give you an example. I'm also including links to the requirments for outlet placement. Another link will show you how to do your rough wiring and how and where to drill holes to run your cable. Good Luck and ask back with any questions.

Take pictures of all your rough wiring prior to installing drywall. Also consider running telephone, cable and speaker wires before installing drywall. These wires should be spaced minimum 2 ft away from any electrical AC lines, crossing perpedicular is OK, just can't run parrellel to them to avoid interferance.

quote:Originally posted by dbledan

I am looking to re-finish a basement and trying to plan wiring. I intend to use 12-2 with 20 Amp breakers for just the outlets, but want to know a good way to plan how many outlets per run. Lighting is all on separate breakers. Also how much is too much for 200Amp service coming into the house?

I will be installing quite a few of them as code requires one for every 6' and I have large open space. I also was planning on using dedicated breakers for entertainment system etc. No other 'appliances' will be used other than vacuums and lights.

No plumbing near anything so GFCI should not be a concern. Any ideas or even an RTFM with a link would be helpful! I have not been able to find local codes online without ordering...Live in Mo.

Comment

Outlet spacing is actually 6' from opening (door) then 12' (max) between the rest. (Rule of thumb)You can have 8-10 for a 15amp and 12-15 on a 20amp breaker. Also when building a circuit you are allowed to use 80% of the breaker. Most inspectors count each outlet as 1.5 amps (so that equals only 8 on 15amp) but most also allow up to 10. Hope your inspector is nice. On where to put your outlets I'd say start by putting them where you KNOW you want them ie.. entertantment center, then see if you are within code (6 then 12) and then add the ones you need to meet code.

Comment

THanks for the links. I have already recieved the permit for the work, but need to get this info BEFORE the rough-in inspection. You guys are a great resource. I will post with any additional questions.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X
        =