Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire sheathing disintegrated

When I took out the foam insulation to get at a leaking ABS pipe, I was mortified to note that the sheathing of the electrical wiring (wiring would be 1977) that passed through that insulation had disintegrated ( about 6 inches in length). As I googled my problem, I could not find affirmation that the problem exists or could exist. It does. But what do I do? Is a heat shrink wrap adequate? Are there other solutions?

Disintegration....

Not saying it's not possible, but sure is hard to believe. Any chance of some critter having chewed on it in that area? I've seen both, mouse and squirrel damaged wire. Looks like it decomposed in that area.

Comment

Originally posted by mrcaptainbob View Post
      Not saying it's not possible, but sure is hard to believe. Any chance of some critter having chewed on it in that area? I've seen both, mouse and squirrel damaged wire. Looks like it decomposed in that area.

Okay, since posting this I have talked to my brother, an electrician, who suggested that the contents from the drain pipe that had leaked out (kitchen sink and dish washer) may have been corrosive enough to cause the damage. The foam insulation was possibly absorbing some of that. No chance of an animal. The sheathing disintegrated like ashes.

My brother thought that if I used electrical tape it would be sufficient repair for the sheathing lost, that the rubberized tape would be the best.

Comment

type of cable

since you mention a date year, is the cable of a jute fiber outer jacket or a thermoplastic?
        the jute fiber has tar in it, paper fillers and the wire itself has a type TW insulation which is a thermoplastic.
        regular romex has paper fillers and a thermoplastic outer jacket.
        dishwasher soap has alkalines in it to dissolve grease. It may prove destructive to a jute fiber wire.

Comment

I too have seen the older wire jackets eaten away by drain cleaners and the like one in particular comes to mind where a garbage disposal wire was routed right under the metal P trap which had a small hole in the bottom, owner used Drain O on a regular basis as a preventative measure. Bare wire was about 1/4" away from the metal trap and cast iron sink.

Electrical tape would work, but I'd suggest this as a temporary fix.
          Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
          Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by HayZee518 View Post
            since you mention a date year, is the cable of a jute fiber outer jacket or a thermoplastic?
            the jute fiber has tar in it, paper fillers and the wire itself has a type TW insulation which is a thermoplastic.
            regular romex has paper fillers and a thermoplastic outer jacket.
            dishwasher soap has alkalines in it to dissolve grease. It may prove destructive to a jute fiber wire.
            The outer cable is not thermoplastic. Not being familiar with the terminology, the other descriptor sounds correct... with the paper fillers. Any advice on what to do?

Comment

You don't mention what this cable does, like is it going between outlets, or from a switch to an outlet etc...either remove it between two connection points (for example a switch and outlet) or cut it and add a section of new in between the two ends, in junction box/s.
              Little about a lot and a lot about a little.
              Every day is a learning day.

Comment

Originally posted by pushkins View Post
                You don't mention what this cable does, like is it going between outlets, or from a switch to an outlet etc...either remove it between two connection points (for example a switch and outlet) or cut it and add a section of new in between the two ends, in junction box/s.
                The cable is running to an outside light. I know the other things on the circuit but I don't know if the light is at the end or where the switch for the light is on the circuit. There is a junction box I can use on the line. I have now planned to add a 2nd junction box at the other end.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =