Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Triple throw, single throw wall switch...

Collapse

Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple throw, single throw wall switch...

This is out of hand already. We had another lightening storm last night. Altho0ugh there was no loss of power, there was an apparent affect on the electrical. The computer, for one does not turn on. It was on a protected power strip. As was the monitor and other peripherals. The strip was plugged into the wall outlet, but was turned off. What I want to do is cut ALL connections to the equipment. But, lazy that I am, I don't want to unplug it every time I'm not using it. What I want is to plug it in a special outlet controlled by a special switch that severs all three connections' Is there such a switch?

triple pole switch ?

I never heard of a triple pole switch.
    If you have a dedicated outlet for just computer stuff, the switch just controls the 120 hot going to the outlet. The neutrals are continuously connected.
    I don't know how it will react to lightning strikes, but a 20 amp gfci receptacle has a trip/reset button that disconnects everything downstream of it, as its own load.
    try it!

Comment

triple pole switch

That GFCI outlet is good idea. I'll try that. This has been an ongoing problem with more than just the computer. A few years ago a Belkin strip burst into flames. Bad enough as it was, could've been worse. It was inside the lower library cabinets and powered the tv, vcr, dvd and surround sound. Lost the surround sound unit on that excursion. Usually some units just get fried. Lost three computers, too. I thought those specialty strips (not the ordinary power strips..) were supposed to protect stuff. Even lost phone service because of the one strip. I now keep all the phone lines away from any protection devices and haven't had an issue since. I was thinking....is it possible that a back feed of sorts is coming in through the neutral leg? I'll bet those safety strips only protect the power side. If I have to, I'll resort to unplugging everything when not in use. This is getting old AND pricey!

Comment

Working...
      X
      =