Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• test knob and tube wiring

Is there a device that can test to see if the knob and tube wiring is still live?

I have a circuit breaker box with modern wiring, however, I still see knob and tube wiring all over the basement. I try to trace it back and it just disappears into somewhere. Can knob and tube wiring be connected to romex then connected to the main circuit panel breaker box? I see lots of splices. There are no fuses anywhere.

Can't you determine whether the knob and slob wiring is tied into the panel? Find a convenient point along the old wiring where you can attach a VOLTMETER and simply measure for voltage. With a CLIP-ON AMP-PROBE you can read its current without baring the wire. Assumedly, this old wiring was abandoned long ago, but always verify.

Comment

Your knob and tube wiring should never be extended by splicing romex to it. It is against code to extend a non-grounded circuit and also dangerous. You could test the old wiring using a non-contact tester such as this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...83900?v=glance though they can give false readings at times. Try to go into the attic to see if the knob and tube exist up there and if it is energized.

quote:Originally posted by deejal

Is there a device that can test to see if the knob and tube wiring is still live?

I have a circuit breaker box with modern wiring, however, I still see knob and tube wiring all over the basement. I try to trace it back and it just disappears into somewhere. Can knob and tube wiring be connected to romex then connected to the main circuit panel breaker box? I see lots of splices. There are no fuses anywhere.

Comment

Working...
      X
      =