Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wiring new outlet in garage for 110v air compresso

I am wanting to add an outlet in the corner of my garage to run a 110v air compressor.

I want to run a new electrical line across the front overhead of garage door to circuit breaker on the other side wall.

There blank breaker spaces in breaker box, I plan to add an 20amp breaker to carry load.

Plans are to install box, then call electrician to connect to box.

Hi, and what is your question? Hube

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Hube

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cflewellen

Hube, this is all new to me. I purchased a 50' 12/2 roll of 600v aluminum clad cable, external mounted box for recept.

I am hoping this is a standard and common way to add this additional electrical line, hoping to get some advice.

Comment

What are the power requirements of the compressor in amps, volts, and watts? That's how you determine the wire size.

I am wanting to add an outlet in the corner of my garage to run a 110v air compressor.

I want to run a new electrical line across the front overhead of garage door to circuit breaker on the other side wall.

There blank breaker spaces in breaker box, I plan to add an 20amp breaker to carry load.

Did you ever see OHM'S mother in LAW?...... SHOCKING!
          <i>Did you ever see OHM\'S mother in LAW?</i>...... <font color=\"red\">SHOCKING!</font id=\"red\">

Comment

but hey get the book one of 2: black and deckers complete guide to home wiring and wiring simplified ($5 home depot).

the latter condenses the 2002 nec in laymans terms for home stuff and is really quite the resource for your house...

the 2 are must have if you even dream about being the big hero in your house.....

I did the exact same project at house for my new craftsman 30 gal compressor.

I used 12/2 NM yellow. Are you saying you bought BX or BMX cable? that's nice but expensive...and I used 1/2" conduit, 20amp receptacles, and a 20amp GFCI and 20amp breaker. you are allowed up to 8 outlets on this circuit....you should first determine what the usage of this circuit will be at any given time to determine if this will be enough....i think you take the amps of the devise multiplied by the voltage and that'll give ya watts . the total wattage for the 20amp i think is 1900 or so i forget...anyway...using conduit is nice but if you bought BMX then that'll look nice too! keep us posted! have fun

Hube, this is all new to me. I purchased a 50' 12/2 roll of 600v aluminum clad cable, external mounted box for recept.

I am hoping this is a standard and common way to add this additional electrical line, hoping to get some advice.
            It's sometimes better to be lucky than smart.
            It\'s sometimes better to be lucky than smart.

Comment

The thing that you have to consider with a compressor is : It will be restarting with about 80 pounds of pressure in the tank - This is a big load for the motor - If its 3 HP or less - You should be ok - # 12 Wire is good for 20 amps - But a lot of people make a mistake of trying to run a small electric line to far - If I had to run over 30 feet with a 3HP compressor - I would use #10 wire and a 30 amp breaker - Hope this helps

Comment

The compressor SHOULD have an unloader valve built in somewhere. It will prevent the compressor from starting under a head of pressure... (listen to one when it shuts off when full, you will hear a "hiss" for a few seconds, thats the unloader bleeding out pressure at the top of the cylinder head of the compressor. Also a bigger gauge wire IS better, it can't hurt at all but do not oversize the breaker. its not really there to protect the motor itself, it has built in overload elements to do so, but check the code, it will state the maximum size breaker or fuse that can be put on a given motor.

Comment

Working...
                X
                =