Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electric stove circuit

I am renovating an old house and ran 6/3 with ground for the stove circuit. Turns out stove will be elsewhere and the cable is not long enough. I am told code does not allow splicing a range circuit. Question: Can I wire a remote box (extension box? or whatever it is called, in the basement with the original stove cable, put the stove breaker in that box and run the new stove circuit from there and satisfy code? Removing the original cable and running a new one would be quite expensive. Any help would be appriciated!!!!!!!!

I would buy a junction box - make sure it is large enough to accomadate a set of splices - Its ok to spice in a junction box - Buy wire servits/split bolt connectors - get them at an electrical supply house for # 6 wire - get a roll of scotch insulation putty and a roll of scotch 33+ electrical tape - All you will need besides that is a couple of adjustable wrenches and the length of wire - make sure you carry the ground wire through as well.

Comment

Unfortunatly, No, you cannot extend and ungrounded range circuit per code by using a junction box. You must run a totally new grounded cable from the breaker panel to your new location.

Comment

Kactus Kid says "....you cannot extend an ungrounded range circuit by using a junction box." Can I install a non-fusible disconnect (pullout) near the end of the current circuit and run to the new location from there????

Comment

Not per code

Comment

Working...
          X
          =