Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• relocating light fixture

Hello-

I am in the processing of re-locating a ceiling light fixture in my bathroom and replacing it with
    sconces on either side of the mirror. I think I will be able to simply move the electrical box from the
    ceiling to the wall (the distance is only about 2 feet) and then run a new cable to the second sconce.

Is it ok to use 12 gauge cable if the circuit breaker is 15 amps. It is my understanding that it is safe
    to use cable rater higher than the circuit, but not vice versa. Is this correct?

I haven't gotten into the current box yet, but it appears to be newer 12 gauge.

Also, any tips or warnings to look out for would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Legally the bathroom circuit "should" be a 20 amp circuit. I was always taught not to mix cables of different sizes. While it may seem perfectly alright to you to mix cables, I wouldn't.

Comment

Mike: I have wired houses completely with 12awg for all branch circuits and lighting. Some were on 15a CBs, some on 20a CBs.

Comment

I was taught that AWG -12 is the preferred conductor for 15 amp circuits and is mandatory in commercial work, however the NEC permits the use of AWG-14 on 15amp circuits in residential work. There seems to be some strange notion that there is an associated cost saving by using the 14, buy lets be serious. We are only talking about $5 or $10 on a 250 ft roll. No doubt in the course of a year the contractor saves a considerable amount of money if he can cut the cost of each roll by a few dollars but looking at it from the homeowners end, what is another $20 or $30 dollars in material cost when balanced into the total cost of building a new home? Personally, in my home awg 12 is the minimum.

Comment

The only advantage I ever see to using AWG 14 is ease of wiring. We ran a circuit in our kitchen for counter lights, rope lights, etc. that has a few double switches and stuff like that, which can be a lot to cram into one box. So we ran AWG 14 and used a 15A breaker.

~Jonathon Reinhart
          ~Jonathon Reinhart

Comment

Working...
          X
          =