Forum Top GA Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This may be a dumb question...

This really is not an electrical question but I am trying to hang a wall mounted TV Stand. I located the wall studs, but when I attempt to drill the hole for the screw, my drill will go through the sheetrock but not through the wood. Is it my drill bits, drill, -- I am frustrated and would appreciate any input.

Do you think you hit a nail? Are you using a masonry bit instead of a wood bit? Have you tried drilling in a different place? Can you drill through just a piece of scrap wood, with the same drill and bit?

Welcome to the forum!

Try

Comment

I have tried to drill in a number of different places and the bit works fine. In terms of what type of drill bits they are, I don't know -- I just bought a rather generic package of drill bits. Yes, I can drill through wood..............thanks for taking the time to respond...[:I]

quote:Originally posted by Troy

Do you think you hit a nail? Are you using a masonry bit instead of a wood bit? Have you tried drilling in a different place? Can you drill through just a piece of scrap wood, with the same drill and bit?

Welcome to the forum!

Comment

shouldn't be a problem. Even the cheapest set of drill go through at least 6 pieces of wood. I can't believe one drill through sheetrock is dulling the bit!

Comment

I think he is hitting a nail. Don't you?
          Try

Comment

Could be a nail, perhaps a "protector plate" for a cable passing thru the stud or something like that?????

Comment

May be hitting a metal protector plate installed on the face of the stud to protect and electrical cable or water pipe,,,the protectors are about 2 to 3 inches long. try moving up or down a couple inches.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their assistance. My home repair/improvement efforts are always trial and error.....[B)]

Comment

All of ours are!
                  Try

Comment

in many cases the true difference between a DIY'er and a tradesman is, the tadesman make a more educated guess.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    =