Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clamps and PVC junction box

Hello,

I'm doing a complete rewiring of my house, and I'm wondering about plastic vs metal junction boxes. I have put in a large (6" cube) PVC box at the end of a 1 1/4" (PVC) conduit run from the panel. At the other end I will run NM cable to the circuits. The box came with no pre-drilled holes to run cable. When I drill a hole, I cannot fit a standard 3/8 cable clamp into it - the PVC is too thick and the clamp threads are not long enough. I cannot find another type of clamp that seems like it would work. Is it ok to run the NM out without clamps, as long as it is stapled very close to the box? The code I read says all wiring methods must be "secured to the box". How are you supposed to do this with this type of box?

Thanks for any help.

LRoadie

Two ways you can do this. Drill a bigger hole and use a 3/4-1/2 bushing - the threads on the bushing are a bit longer where you can use a standard locknut. Second would be to use a galvanized "close" nipple with a galvanized coupling and a locknut. I take it you are running a ground wire with the conductors inside the PVC from the feed?

Comment

I am running a ground wire to it for all the circuits (Five of them). (My water pipe ground happens to run through it also). I had thought of something like that with the galvanized adapters, but figured there must be a better way. I will look into the bushing idea, that sounds good to me, thanks.

LRoadie

Comment

Working...
      X
      =