This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Heater?

Does anyone have an electrical drawing of an electric water heater? It has two wires, R&W going to both heating elements. It is a basic Rheem system, 240v single phase and 50 gal capacity. I am not sure if you needed all of that, but it was on the face plate. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Water Heater

Simple water heaters have two wires to connect to the feed. In your case the red and white go to the 220 cable coming from your breaker panel. Some have four wires - two pairs together to each of one cable to the panel.
      They are connected internally to first the top controller and the lower controller to provide sequencial operation of the heating elements. the elements are each about 3000 watt. They can't operate together because of the high current draw, hence the sequencial operation.
      Hot water stratifies to the top of the heater where its drawn off. The cold water "dip" tube goes to the bottom of the heater so the bottom element is the workhorse of the heater. Once its setting is satiafied, it opens and transfers to the top element controller which then operates.

Comment

Fittings

A few more cable - conduit fittings

Comment

One thing about the 3-way switches. I've found that the terminal designations move and the screws aren't always color coded. I've had to ohm out a few to connect them properly. No, I haven't the foggiest reason for electrical component manufacturers to do this. Your drawings are correct, one will just have to make sure which terminal is which.

Comment

most times the screws are your key to which one is common. any one off color or black, brown is the common. eagle makes its common a deep brown color. leviton uses all brass screws with one a different shade of brass. older ones use all the same color (porcelain base) old mother of pearl push button porcelain are the same coloring. ringing out with a test light is a sure fire way of identifying the common.

Comment

One page three 3-way diagrams

Here's three 3-way drawings - one is feed in one box, load out end box. Line & load in same box. Line & load in center box, a three way at one end of a room and another three way at other side of a room.

Comment

Control a load from FIVE places

Three ways and four way switches used to control a load from FIVE switch locations

Comment

Electrical Glossary

When you are shopping for electrical parts it's good to know the proper terminology. Here is an residential Electrical Glossary
                  Last edited by admin; 11-24-2007, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Drawings

Appreciate the drawings. Found one on switch/rec. combo through this site. Exacly what I was looking for. Thank-you -G

Comment

Electrical Bushings

Electrical Trade type bushings

Comment

Three Way Switch

One line diagram to explain how a three way and four way switch works

Comment

One thing about the 3-way switches. I've found that the terminal designations move and the screws aren't always color coded. I've had to ohm out a few to connect them properly. No, I haven't the foggiest reason for electrical component manufacturers to do this. Your drawings are correct, one will just have to make sure which terminal is which.

Thanks

Comment

these are great illustrations. I really appreciate you sharing these. grate thread.

Comment

This thread is very helpful. Thank you very much for sharing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              =